Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: crank seals replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:03 pm 

I'm about to do the top half of the motor on my h2a, going to have the cylinders vapor blasted the mechanic asked if I was going to change the crank seals in the bottom half, I wasn't planning on messing with the bottom half of the motor but he mentioned the bike is over 40yrs old and the rubber on the seals could brake apart and seize the motor. Should I replace them? Their are no leaks from the motor but now I'm worried. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm 

You can do a leakdown test and find out the condition of the seals: http://www.kawatriple.com/cranksealtest ... altest.htm

It really is true that there's a good chance the seals are not in good condition. Getting the crank rebuilt will also allow you to replace its bearings. There are a couple well respected crank rebuilders in the vendors section of the resource site... Charlie Smith in the east, and Dave Singleton out west, as well as a few others.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Even if they are good now, they probably won't be in the future. Some are lucky and 40 years seals are still good, but most are shot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm 

Bad bearings can do bad things to the bottom end when they fail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:00 pm 

Good mechanic to mention that. Just wait till you see your output shaft gears and shift forks. $$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 pm 

FYI I shot you a PM with some information. I will be glad to help you with this build. Even if you choose another builder please feel free to give me a call with any questions whatsoever about the crankshaft, condition, options, etc... :thumbup:

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:22 pm 

goshdarnep wrote:
I'm about to do the top half of the motor on my h2a, going to have the cylinders vapor blasted the mechanic asked if I was going to change the crank seals in the bottom half, I wasn't planning on messing with the bottom half of the motor but he mentioned the bike is over 40yrs old and the rubber on the seals could brake apart and seize the motor. Should I replace them? Their are no leaks from the motor but now I'm worried. Thoughts?

I would do it now and be done with it. And then once apart, you could have the entire motor vapor blasted [cases, cylinders and heads].

I did it on my recent H2 project.