Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 pm 

Attachment:
P5290009.JPG
Attachment:
P5290002.JPG
Attachment:
P5290005.JPG
So, I’ve decided that it’s time to sell the H-2. I don’t enjoy riding it, like I did when I was 18, and have many other interests that seem to consume my time.
This was a fun project, that kept me busy the winter after my wife passed away, but things change, and it’s time to work on other things. I tried to replicate the one I had over 40 years ago, and did this one even a little better.

I bought this bike in December of 2013, hauled a Camaro to Florida in January, 2014, drove it around down there for a week, and brought both the Camaro & bike back to northern Illinois. It was a long, cold, and lonely winter, but hunting for parts, and working on the bike helped me through.

The previous owner had new rings installed, right before I picked it up, and that’s all I know that’s been done to the engine. Mikuni flat-slide carbs, and K&N filters were on it when I got it. It had the later, longer swing-arm on it, but he had a brand new “original” one that he sold me with the bike. On the way home from FL., I picked up a set of chrome Wirges expansion chambers, like I had back in the day, except I couldn’t afford chrome ones, and had black ones on the old bike. (Not the preferred pipes by many, but it’s what I wanted.) New collars & springs were found from a vendor selling them on Ebay. Paint is good, but not perfect. Chrome is very good, as is the aluminum. Seat is excellent.

So, I replaced the long swing-arm with the stock version, and found the only brake rod in existence!! Bronze bushings in swing-arm were like new. Dismantled the carbs, and bumped up the jet size, had the oil lines refurbished by Jim Schreve, as check valves were leaking. Removed the original, rusty turn signals, and installed some small lights in their place. New battery, and an electronic flasher. A new horn was also installed. Sprockets were fine, but a new RK X-ring chain was installed. New chain guard was found, and installed. All new cables for clutch, brake, and throttle. Both right & left handlebar controls were replaced with new, along with the black drag bars. New black Magazi mirrors. Both levers, and clutch adjust screw are new. Most all rubber isolators are new, along with the gauge rings. Gauge housings, headlight bucket & trim were powder-coated semi-gloss black.
After getting it on the road, the clutch release broke, and got replaced with one from Ralf.
Rear tire was replaced with a Bridgestone Battlax BT45R 120/90-18MC. Front tire is a Challenger 100/90-19, in very good condition.
I put about 1700 miles on it that first summer, and kind of got it out of my system. The following winter, I sent the gauges to Donald Fulsang, to fix the broke trip meter stem, and of course, they come back looking better than new!!! I also fabricated a shifter pedal for the left rear foot peg. Much more comfortable for me. Last thing I did was to install an LED bulb in the original sealed beam housing.

I can only guess by the serial numbers, the engine (H2E 12092) is the one that came with the bike. It's showing 15,368 miles right now.

Watching these on Ebay, I see the value is up on some, and way down on others. I’m not sure what to expect, but I’d like to get back what I’ve invested.
It’s been a struggle to decide to part with this, as I know I’ll never have another. It just doesn’t make sense to keep something this nice, sitting in the garage. It runs just fine, but it’s not something that I enjoy any more.

I’m probably going to put it on Ebay, as that’s where I’ll attract the most attention. Please feel free to offer any thoughts, or suggestions. I could only attach 3 photos, but have many more.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:15 pm 

That's a lovely bike and a very bitter sweet story. I wish you luck with the sale - but part of me hopes you might change your mind and keep it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm 

Agreed, Zambia, but he's had it only four years, so I understand not having a big attachment to it. Lately I've considered buying another motorcycle and tried to decide what I'd sell so as not to add another one to the garage, but there is no way in Hell I'd sell the H2 I've had for coming up on 40 years. When I get on it, I flash back to all the fun times of the late '70s.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am 

zeebad1 wrote:

...time to sell the H-2. I don’t enjoy riding it...

Well, that's depressing, sorry to hear that.

It's a beautiful bike, and should bring a nice price.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 pm 

It is a bittersweet story, but life goes on. Things change.......some for the good, and others, not so good.
My wife despised motorcycles, and I honored that feeling, while she was alive. Always in the back of my mind, I thought I'd like to have another H2, and found this one after she passed away. (I did ask for forgiveness in a prayer, and she must have figured I was gonna do it anyway!!!)

This project did pacify my time that winter, and the tracking down parts, and wrenching were as much fun as anything.

I have so many other interests now, and the bike just doesn't "do it" for me any more. I did get remarried, to a gal that also knows how short life can be, so we tend to have a lot of fun!!!
We have a Kawasaki Teryx LE that we put over 1000 miles a year, ripping thru fields & woods!! She wouldn't be on the H2 with me, but loves the Teryx!!
I started taking flying lessons in February, so I can see a plane in my future
3 Camaros tend to fill my need for cruising. I'm 61 years old now, and feel that they are much more comfortable than a bike. Call me a "softy!!!"
And then there are the tractors!!! 5 Minneapolis Molines, with 4 of them needing restoration. (2 of them belonged to my grandpa, who bought them new, so I'm honored to be able to bring them back to life!!) Of course I get my fix of power from the one that has an Allison V-12 that burns alcohol. The H2 is fun, but this thing is a blast!!! 2 friends and myself resurrected it from a pasture 4 years ago. Here's a video.......

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=oz3cyk3KT_4

I hope to have a lot of life left, but the H2 just doesn't need to be part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm 

zeebad1, the video URL isn't working, but with all those amazing projects, selling the H2 is almost understandable. When I was about 14, I watched a boat race in which one of the entrants was a flat bottom V-drive with an Allison. Imagine a 500 lb 18' fiberglass hull with a V-12 in it. Those local club boat races are what got me to buy a '73 Super Sanger when I was 17. Good luck with the sale and all the projects, and if you get a chance, post progress reports in the 'Not triple related" section please.

Last edited by Jim on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

Well, crap!!! It works on my end, but that doesn't mean anything!!!

Search Youtube for "Bill Newlon Allison" and several videos should show up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 pm 

This one is funny enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgk3sHEdFKI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am 

Jim wrote:

+1. That MM is a beast!

What Camaros? Any convertibles for sale??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 pm 

No convertibles, and nothing for sale.

A '71 Z-28/RS, an '02 SS, and a '10 2SS/RS.
Mulsane blue, black, and black.
All 3 are manual trans cars.