Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weak spark
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 am 

Hi everyone! it's been a while since ive been on this awesome site and I've received the
best source of info about my h1 ever and she runs like a charm. I hope it's ok to ask a
question about my other bike which is not a Kawasaki h1 or h2, as a matter of fact It's a little
Yamaha rd 100 twin two stroke that I found on craigslist. I don't want to bother going to the Yamaha forum
because I like this one and all the knowledgeable people on this site are always 1st class pros
that I feel comfortable with. So if it's ok Id'e like to shoot a question regarding this little bike.
I brought the bike home and cleaned her up and was doing the basic checks on it like opening up the carburetors and cleaning them up
and checking for spark which she has. I cleaned up the fuel tank and put a new inline filter and she gets a good fuel supply.
It started up right away but after about 30 seconds it started misfiring on 1 cylinder and lost spark. I cleaned up the plug
and restarted it and it ran again very good but then lost spark again. After several times cleaning up the plug I installed brand new
plugs and this time it ran for about a minute before it fouled out the new plug. I noticed one of the coils was very warm and
thought it was a bad one so I ordered 2 new coils and this didnt change anything. I pulled both spark plugs out and left them
connected to the plug wires and laying on the cylinder heads and hooked up my drill to the crankshaft and spun the motor and
they were both sparking but seemed very weak sparks. Just for fun I raised the plug slightly above the cylinder head and huge
fat sparking was occurring between spark plug and cylinder head. When I laid the plug back down on the cylinder head it went back
to a weak spark again. I'm confused with this as I know she's capable of a big spark when the plug is slightly above cylinder head but
when shes grounded to the head it becomes weak. I would appreciate any help on this matter and appreciate your time. Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Weak spark
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Admin

I would guess we are working with points?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 am 

Yes sir it has breaker points and they do look good and I gapped at
a thickness of a book of matches

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 am 

I'm looking for the repair manual on this bike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Admin

I personally would go ahead and replace the points and condensers. Plug gap is critical, what are yours at? And what plugs are you running?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm 

plugs could be dirty loosing spark thru the crud, try new plugs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am 

Thanks for the info gentleman, looking for points and condensers and correct plugs.