Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am 

rngdng wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
Yes, I mislabeled the gyroscopic effects with centripetal force.

And Andrew, the more weight of a spinning objects the more force is necessary to change the direction. Also it's the speed of the rotation, and also where the weight is located. The farther out the weight the more force necessary to change the direction. There should be a calculator somewhere.

I taught gyroscope theory in the Navy. It is what makes a motorcycle turn (precession). I explain it with a bicycle wheel. Motorcycle mags incorrectly call the phenomena counter-steering.

Lane

My friend that owned the Kawasaki dealership when I was growing up used a bicycle wheel to show us how to ride on gravel roads. I was 14 at the time and had just started riding my G3 and I was a little timid of riding very fast on gravel because the bike felt skittish and the faster I went I felt like I had to correct every wheel movement with the bars. He explained the gyroscope effect by having me hold the bicycle wheel by the axle while he spun it. When it was spinning good he said, "now try to turn the axle" and it was of course hard because of the gyroscope effect. His point was the bike is trying to stay up by itself, let it float and go.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 am 

If you really want to feel the lack of gyroscopic effect. Take a snow bike for a spin!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:57 pm 

John,

Did you try bumping up the air pressure in tire on the aluminum rim by 1.8 lbs. and weigh them again?

8-) :lol:

The bikes running really well my friend.

Craig