Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pistons
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 pm 

Have a 72H1B, new cylinders requiring a set of ist over pistons. Have done two of my other bikes top ends with Wossners with no issues. Does anyone recommend Wiseco as apposed to Wossner? It wont be raced, just a another rider. Tks much opinions welcomed

Post subject: Re: Pistons
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Wossner quality seems much higher. If you are going for forged, then Wossners.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:50 pm 

The stock pistons would 'beat down' and the motor would be 'rattly' as we called it, even when you started with clearances on the small side. My H1A did that and I was not happy. Do the Wisecos or Wossners do that? Or is a rattly motor just accepted in the triples world?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:53 pm 

The Wisecos I used 40 years ago seemed to get "collapsed skirts" and rattle in a couple thousand street miles. I haven't seen or heard of Wössners doing that, but new Wisecos might not either.

After having my H2 as long as I have, I've quit worrying about piston noise at idle. Fresh bores with new pistons are quiet, and after 10,000 miles they'll probably be noisy and still running fine. Rod here on the board got something like 60,000 miles out of one set of pistons in his younger days, and I bet they made some noise.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:54 pm 

What....speak up, man........!!
Rattly engines were part of the deal, years ago. Big pistons in a finned aluminium cylinder are going to rattle and amplify noise, lost count of the guys that would re-bore to "fix" the rattles at a few thousand miles. I did take my first H2 up to something like 80,000 miles on the original bores, just to see if anything would break.......... I broke in the end!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:22 pm 

Wow, I was 25% low. :)

You said original bores... so did you change the pistons in that 80,000 miles?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:58 pm 

The memory is starting to dim, but I used the original pistons right through those miles, Jim. The bike was my sole transport for years, and stock-production road racing was big at the time. I gave up trying to wreck that bike, and then we went for a new crank, Wiseco pistons, a bit of port-work, chambers, etc. That is when the (expected) "problems" happened; over the years things like mild seizures, swallowing a small-end needle, the sort of thing that high revs and ignorance will get you. The original bike, I think, had a set of rings half-way through, but that is about it...... I shudder to think how many miles the original gear-box did, but I never had ANY trouble with it. (This is why I love the old H2's!)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:29 pm 

Thanks Rod, that was fun to hear about. It's funny to hear your comments about how well it ran without major maintenance. I've done a few top ends, but my case halves have never been apart. The transmission is original, shifts perfectly, never pops out of gear, etc.. That's why I've been hesitating to take everything apart and get the crank rebuilt... it ain't broke. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 am 

I agree, Jim, keep it going......(and incidentally, I wonder how "important" crank seals are in the overall equation, well "polished" seals seem to hold up!). None of the bikes I've had have surpassed the H2 for how the gearbox shifts and just works, the 4 strokes obviously have bigger gears, and are clunkier, but nothing has ever had a H2 type slick shift, and that is before we even heard about shimming and back cut gears, etc. On the other hand, it is fun to split a set of cases, they are strong and well built engines, and simple as! :thumbup:
Apologies to the original poster for wandering off track, lot of good memories with these old things!! I had a lot of luck with Wiseco's in my modified engines, but a lot of people have good results with the newer Wossners, no experience with them myself.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:56 am 

Genuine Kawasaki for me, mines are now 56.000 kilometers and rings too albeit I'm not a quiet rider :mrgreen: