Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 pm 

I posted an earlier issue on H1B exhausts/mufflers, as the bike I bought had an late model one piece system on it. Once I got the bike running and in good shape found it to leak quite a bit, from the exhaust pipe holder. I had planned on changing the system to a 2 piece which is what it should have had on it. According to the Kawasaki site, 69-72 bikes should have the same system. All my return posts stated that!
John from Mid-Atlantic stated (as I was looking for set) that when he installed a set on a H1B years ago, he had to do a lot of filing, he just wasn't too sure on where or particulars, as it was a long time ago. Other posts stated it should be a bolt right up job. He suggested as I own a 71H1A to remove the left pipe and install it on the H1B. I thought that was a good idea.
Today I spent nearly four plus hours trying to install the left pipe. The header top pipe fit in place just fine, and the middle point bracket set up fine, and the rear foot rest secured just fine. HOWEVER, when I attempted to put the exhaust pipe holder/flange on the exhaust port and to secure same, I found the 6mm bolts about 1 to 2 mm wider (further apart) on the cylinder of the h1B than that of the H1A. As it is cast, I filed for a long time on both holes as there is not a lot of material to play with. After playing with the newly installed studs some and filing I finally got it where it was acceptable. Hours of work!!!!! Keep in mind the Kawasaki site lists the same numbers for all exhaust items for years 69-72 H1's Has anyone else experienced this. All mounts with the exception of the exhaust flange fits well. Couldn't believe it!!!!!!
I would have paid just about anything for a set of 3 exhaust pipe holders that bolted right up. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

The early cylinders with the 6 mm EX studs do have the bolts centers around 2mm closer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like you don't have H1B cylinders!
http://www.kawatriple.com/partid/cylinders/cyldif.htm