Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 pm 

There has been some discussion of UFOs on stock H2 carbs, and the fact that inserts that directly fit H2 carbs aren't available. Cody loaned me some UFOs, and from those I have some prototypes that we 3-D printed. The surface is not as smooth as the molded UFOs, but I don't know if that makes any difference at all. Mine are Nylon, and could be sanded a little to smooth them out some if it matters.

The consensus for other carbs seems to be that UFOs work best with 3.5 cutaway slides. Stock H2 slides are 2.5. We can make the inserts for any cutaway, but to try them without modifying stock slides, you'd need 2.5 cutaway inserts. It appears that for triples, when you order real UFOs, you get three 3.5 cutaway inserts, or three of another cutaway you specify.

It looks like the price would be $59 per set of three, postage included, which is about 1/2 the price of actual UFOs that are available for other carbs. If someone here who wishes you could get UFOs for stock H2 carbs is ready to try a set now, I'll cut the price in half if you report back about how they work. This obviously favors guys who live in the warmer parts of the US.

In case you're wondering about patent infringement, I checked on that before we started playing around with these. The patent has lapsed, so they're now in the public domain.

Here are a couple photos of a 2.0 cutaway insert in a stock 2.5 cutaway H2 slide. I just happen to have the 2.0 to take pictures of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm 

Nice job.
Are you only doing the stock carbs or are you going to offer some of the other Vm series too... 34, 36, 38??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:59 pm 

pla, eh? nice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 am 

They're Nylon, Mark. Very fuel resistant.

I can do all the sizes, but I thought I'd start with the ones that have been unavailable. We have them for VM34s now as well. We haven't done them for stock H1 carbs, but can if someone wants to loan me a slide. At least I think I can do those, depending on how it works out with the oddball idle rod in those. I haven't seen one up close for a zillion years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:30 am 

Great work guys .....
After the Holidays and the bleeding of money stops,, I would like to have a set for my H2 and the S3 if you'll be able to make those as well...
:thumbup:

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:56 am 

I do have a set of S3 carbs here, so I can take a look and see what it would take.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:53 am 

interesting. running s3 carbs as well on my s2 but not sure I want to go down to a 15 pilot or whatever it takes. im sure I have some stock h1 carbs somewhere I can give you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 am 

Jim wrote:
I do have a set of S3 carbs here, so I can take a look and see what it would take.

Great news Jim! :clap: If you do end up making these for the S3, please put me down for both the S3 and stock H2 UFO's. Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:33 am 

Thanks Darrin. What's the consensus about cutaway? UFS are shipped in the 3.5 cutaway version, with instruction to grind/file/sand the slides down to match the UFO. Since I don't have experience, I really don't know if this is best for triples or not. Maybe the beta tester I asked for above can help answer that question. Or maybe some of you guys who already use UFOs can shed some light.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Some testing is in order. There is only 12.5 and 10 smaller than the 15 pilots, that usually ends up with a super lean 3.5 slide.