Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 790-mile H2 update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm 

R.B. wrote:
I'm not buying the mileage :think: stuff is too dirty for those miles . . . and a change of front wheel so soon ? I can't work out what it is, the wheel should be a KZ900 One or KZ650 Etc - Whats the date code on the rim ? Whats the date code on the disc ? Obviously the axle is also wrong, but the forks seem to be correct but the fork boots just don't look right. The front sprocket looks like the lock tab has been opened ? the rear sprocket tabs look suspect as well . . but the photos aren't clear enough :cry: It looks to be a later H2c anyway . . . can we get a photo of the meters :think:

RB - I'm glad you're chiming in. Being around many triples myself (not as much as you though), I believe it is all stock. The bike is dirty from being neglected and left outside. Let's put this H2C on trial to find out if it is 790 miles or 7900 miles. I will try to dig in more info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 pm 

Signs of a well used transmission, rounded dogs. Low rust on the bike, but filthy. If a low mile bike stored outside, it would be the opposite. Really does not matter about the millage, your restoring it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 am 

The fact is even if this bike has 79,000 miles, I'd still buy it.

Before going any further, please follow this link when I posted the story in 2008.

http://www.naktc.com/~naktc2/NAKTC_Projects/75_H2C_790m/75_H2C_790m.html

I paid $800 for the bike but the seller's story is priceless. :D

Only recently I started to look into it and I didn't really know what to expect prior to open its guts.
There's some water in the engine since the carbs were missing in action,
I was real satisfied after inspecting everything.

I am not a detective but my checklist below indicates the seller was telling the truth.
1. The mangled tail piece with 1976 Illinois plate
2. Motor was not stuck but center cylinder seized (see pic below) so bike was not running.
The other pistons look very clean.
3. Original Dunlop tires still has a lot life
4. Gears and dogs wear marks are consistent with low mileage motor
5. All crank bearings are smooth with no play at all
6. Cylinder heads have very little carbon
7. Engine sprocket and rear sprocket have little wear

I am a little puzzled with the front wheel and I suspect that he may just replaced the front wheel but never got any further than that.
I will have to replace the rear rim since it is tweaked.
The front rim does have 1277 marking but can't confirm date on the disk. Engine is all buttoned up now and turns very smoothly.

Enjoy looking at many pictures below and I welcome comments.

Last edited by Y.T. on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 am 

Those tyres will be a bit hard by now....and don't forget to oil the chain.......!! :lol: (nice gearbox....!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:24 am 

800 dollars you made a major score , Congrats :!:

R.B. wrote:
I'm not buying the mileage :think: stuff is too dirty for those miles . . . and a change of front wheel so soon ? I can't work out what it is, the wheel should be a KZ900 One or KZ650 Etc - Whats the date code on the rim ? Whats the date code on the disc ? Obviously the axle is also wrong, but the forks seem to be correct but the fork boots just don't look right. The front sprocket looks like the lock tab has been opened ? the rear sprocket tabs look suspect as well . . but the photos aren't clear enough :cry: It looks to be a later H2c anyway . . . can we get a photo of the meters :think:

I bought an ebay KZ650 rotor it was the same diameter as a KH400 rotor, too small maybe the KZ900 is the answer, but the axle to fit tthe axle is a simple bearing swap the soulution?

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:48 am 

At $ 800 even in 2008 was a bargain obviously :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I bought an ebay KZ650 rotor it was the same diameter as a KH400 rotor, too small maybe the KZ900 is the answer, but the axle to fit tthe axle is a simple bearing swap the soulution?
The KZ650 rotor is the same diameter as H1/H2 but it is thinner. If you had a smaller dia front rotor it wasn't KZ650 regardless of what the ebay seller said.
Here is a KZ650 rotor I mounted on H1B forks with KH500 wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm 

Hmmm , well it is thinner but diameter wise identical to the KH400 rotor. I guess I made a bad ebay purchase bummer.......

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 pm 

O.K. You are winning me over! :thumbup: The better pics have helped, the bike has obviously been down the road, slid, topside until it hit a kerb and that took out the front wheel, the usual fork mount lug has been taken out . . . The jury is out :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm 

Y.T. wrote:
Jackman wrote:
The 4 bolt (S3/KZ650) are a smaller diameter rotor and won't work because the caliper lugs will be too high , I too would like to make this work, but what to do :think: :?:

I am learning as I go...thanks to you sharp-eyed folks.

This 4-bolt H2C Rotor is larger than S3 rotor, it is the same size as other H2's. You need the same rotor on my bike. The picture below show H2C rotor which is larger than the one on the right (which is same as my S3 rotor).

The spokes I used are the same as standard H2 spokes. This is the only H2 I own that has bare finish front hub. I am just going to put it back as factory correct so I won't adapt rubber engine mounts. I do need to buy some H1 rubber mounts though for several other H1's that i am attacking.

YT does your wheel with axle mount up to the tubes?

Funny where a thread takes one, I had left my 18 front wheel H1 swap on the bench till Spring cause the rotor did not fit , then YT thread revives my thoughts and then Dale points out that my KZ650 rotor is probly not correct , so here I am got my rotor sorted I think, next axle to fork tubes .

YT good thread :thumbup:

1974 Yamaha RD350

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next