Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 790-mile H2 update
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm 

Nice work on your restore.

Who did the paint? It looks really well done.

How did you clean the engine cases and cylinders?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm 

Beautiful! Well done sir.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm 

Hollister56 wrote:
Nice work on your restore.

Who did the paint? It looks really well done.

How did you clean the engine cases and cylinders?

Thanks! Cases, cylinders and heads were bead blasted. Make sure the cases are completely dry with zero oil so the blasting media doesn't stick inside. After that, blow out with compressed air thoroughly to make sure nothing is left inside the cases. I used fine steel wool over the external cases to have a decent looking finish otherwise they look dull. Cleaning the nuts and bolts is a real pain in the rear and time consuming but had to be done.

The paint matching was done by a local paint store but took numerous trials before I call it ok. They were probably glad to get rid off me after that. It was just color coat and clear coat approach. Someone on ebay is selling the purple H2C paint (also color coat and clear coat) for $180 and that may be the way to go. I traced the decal pattern myself years ago and had the local decal shop make them for me.

I know I am not the fastest and I am sure it took me over 100 hours of labor so far. If you can get someone to do a frame off restoration (assuming a cheap hourly labor rate of $50, not counting parts and paint job) for $5000 that would be a steal.

I do have another H2C that is in good condition and I am thinking about doing a total restoration on it as well since I've gain some experience now. I do have too many bikes to restore and I am very concerned about not having enough time -- not getting any younger.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm 

I have also tried to match the purple paint and it is not made like the original anymore. The ebay paint claims to be correct but when I look at it in detail it is not like the stock paint on the 75 tank I have. Several differences are there like the biggest being there is no red flake in his paint where my original tank had a red flake and no blue. I could not find anyone that makes red flake anymore in a purple unless you want a custom mix or you buy the flakes and add them in. The flake size he has is also wrong. This is just what I have noticed on my tank but RB would have a better sampling to choose from. If you want perfect purple paint, you are going to need an expert to mix some up with an original tank as a guide. I gave up and am going to try and mix my own but am not worried about being perfect stock and can accept variations. I have to say I am impressed by the original paint and the trouble and expense they went through to make them 70's cool! Your paint looks really accurate to my tank by the way. Nice job.