Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm 

The S3 I originally built in '74 and just got back was a real rev-monster, pushing the tach to 12k. (Ported, reeds, extra intake ports, pipes, etc.)Others have shared that the S3 tachs are inaccurate at those revs...but I would still like to hedge my bets with some silver plated bearing cages. Can anyone suggest a resource?
4Dog Knight

I contacted Fast from the Past and Jim replied saying that he doesn't have an S3 compatible option. Anybody else have a source? I know Husqvarna uses them in their "pro saws", so I may have to go visit my BiL who's a Husqvarna OPE retailer. Maybe his parts guy can rummage around their parts dept. and find me some? Does anyone know IF a KX125 uses a silver plated wrist pin cage?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 pm 

Get cage brng part numbers and Google Image the part to get a visual.
Cool build...tell us about the reeds?

https://www.kawasaki.com/parts

...and a smelly Honda CB350-Four

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 am 

Charcoal,
Sorry I'm so slow on the uptake! Sometimes getting multiple posts going on the same subject can fragment to communication! Look here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12532 for a link to the original story. Scrolling down will net pics of the reed cages, etc. They are pretty much what J-Moo is now offering in a Stage 3 mod and they work extremely well. But these came from Eyvind Boyesen back in 1974!
Thanks for the suggestion. I DID do the Google image search, but the biggest challenge is that even though one searches under "S3 silver plated Wrist pin bearings" you still get a ton of "other" stuff. Sifting thru it all is challenging. I know for example, that an old first year KX125 Wrist pin bearing is a same as a CR125, because we subbed them when the Kawi ones failed and lunched the whole piston/cylinder, etc. However, I'm having challenges know what's what. Just thought I'd ask here, should anyone else has already made that conversion. ANYBODY?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

You may have better luck measuring a bearing and then looking up bearing specs adding in the silver plating. I know of guys racing and running the hell out of their S motors without silver bearings without problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:38 pm 

Thanks for your input Ja-Moo. I get that, They didn't have them before, but for the little difference in cost (when i look at what Fast from the past sells the 16mm Silver offering for) I'd gladly pay a little extra just for the piece of mind. I'm still frugal... but trying hard not to be penny foolish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:03 pm 

The factory bike used silver plated big end rod bearings and regular wrist pin bearings I think!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 pm 

I use the small end bearing from KX125 in my KH400 part number 13033-1062
(15mm x 19mm x 19.70mm) if this of any help.
You can still buy this bearing from Kawasaki.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:00 pm 

Big H,
I b'lieve I looked at those and they appear to be un-plated. Although the single KX125 currently puts out almost as many horses as the S3 did stock in '74. I'll keep that option in mind! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

One thing to take into account, is with reed valves you get fresh cooling fuel/oil fed right to the small end bearing. Not like a piston port with the bearing in the dead space in the underside of the piston.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm 

Is that what those big holes in the piston skirt are for! :thumbup: :shh:
Excellent point JaMoo. I hadn't considered that. That's helpful and definitely something to ponder! ANOTHER good reason to go with reeds!!!
THANKS,
4 dog