Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nice neighbor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 pm 

So I recently meet one of my neighbors, just a plain old fashioned friendly guy who likes people and is fun to talk to, found out he has a very nice, small, machine shop and welding set up and said likes to tinker with all sorts of small projects, not sure what that means yet because I have just meet him, but its nice to know he does not mind talking to me about projects, welding, and life in general.

One of the first things he said to me is " OH your the guy with the 2-stoke that is always blasting down the road" :D

I asked him if he could do a very small project for me that I was thinking about but never did because it seemed like a pain for me to do and a bit silly for the only other machine shop I know of to do because they are always swamped with major motor projects and it is kind of a silly idea…I have plenty of those :think:
I wanted my swing arm pivot bolt to be drilled and tapped on each end so I could simply put some fittings on and be able to grease it without removing it.
He said no problem dropped it off last night and got it back tonight, easy job for him, hard for me, and he didn't want anything for it…I payed him something anyway :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Nice neighbor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 pm 

Nice story, good people are out there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm 

Yes good that you paid him. Do something nice in return and hopefully he'll be there next time you need a favor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 am 

I was back at my neighbors shop the other night, We worked on a head for a Suzuki TS 250 I am rebuilding.
This time he would not take any of my money!!
He likes working with people and there projects, told me to never hesitate to ask him.

Dont judge the work to harshly I told him what to do and when to stop doing it….and I don't know what I am doing!
This was the first time he ever tried anything like this and I have never tried anything like this either :?
Remember its not a triple!! so perfection wasn't the goal :lol: But I sure have a better idea what it takes, ! More math…more study.. more measuring... more time….

The head gasket will now control the clearance to the piston, I tried mathematically to calculate how much to remove to keep compression nearly the same and have a 50% squish area.
Once its together I will check PSI, and he said we can cut more out of the dome in needed to get it where it needs to be.
Original squish clearance was 3mm, now its 1.3mm with stock gasket and I am going to order a .042 also.

https://youtu.be/iKa6_6ZECwQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 am 

Cool mod to the swing arm bolt, but what swing arm did you use that doesn't have a grease fitting?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

I think off an RZ......... :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 pm 

I really like doing projects for stuff, my own and for others.

Currently, when I get back from here in Holland at the end of this weekend, I will continue to build my roll around cart for my hot dog steamer we use for fund raiser and customer appreciation day events for our libraries, Museum Thrift Store, all sorts of events. It used to be a very old BBQ cart, re-purposed it to hold a small refrigerator, the hot dog steamer and has shelves, built from throw away metals and other things.

It works along side a commercial popcorn machine I run with the steamer for the events.

I do a lot of projects for my county maintenance groups, others here in the area, always a challenge and fun to do.

I just finished two firing pins for the Lyon County Public Works Director, for his double barrel 12 gauge shotgun, model 1875 New Baker. I also did a small body HEI for his tri-power carb'd big block Chevy powered street rod. there is always some project to get involved with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 pm 

Demus, I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to be careful using the spark plug hole as a center. I think it was Tony Nicosia who told me ( for Kaw anyway ) that the plug holes are not centered. The bolt holes are a better reference. Not sure about Suzukis though.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm 

triple cranks wrote:
Demus, I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to be careful using the spark plug hole as a center. I think it was Tony Nicosia who told me ( for Kaw anyway ) that the plug holes are not centered. The bolt holes are a better reference. Not sure about Suzukis though.

I worked a set of of heads for Jeff K on the other triple website and luckily he brought two sets of heads. One head had the spark plug hole so far offset and crooked I could have used a yardstick to measure runout.

The other 5 were fine.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 pm 

It is a RZ350 swing arm and there are some fittings on the linkage but not where the bolt goes through.

The spark plug hole was off center about .015 from the original outside bore diameter and it was off about the same from side to side from flat. He was a bit nervous about it, I told him the head is around 25-30 bucks on ebay lets cut it and see what happens!!
So first he took off the amount needed to make it flat to the lathe and then he marked it and we checked how it would affect the bore center when bolted to the cylinder and the funny part (I am sure just blind luck) it seemed to make it better than it was stock and there is a bit of play in all the bolts from cylinder to head but not as much as a triple.
One of the ideas I have stolen from being on this site and although it is not perfect it will be fine for this, I am going to center the head in the bore with the cylinder off by using some marker at the bore diameter on the head and sight it in the cylinder and then pin it with a couple drilled holes in the fins.
You should see how far off the head gasket is from center :shock: Its crazy!! I am going to enlarge the bolt holes in the gasket and use some gasksinch or copper coat or something to keep the gasket centered on the cylinder before I put the head on.

It will be interesting to see how high the psi is kicking it over, that may need to be adjusted seeing I did this a bit shade tree :)