Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barbers Weekend
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am 

That would have been fun Ric so I nominate you to herd the cats next year. We know you are the best at that. :clap: ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm 

I was there and loved it. I was at the Hilton in the Liberty Park area (a lot of bikes there). I did not run into any other triple guys on this site, and I wore my triple shirts just in case someone would spot me. It is a huge place with a LOT OF BIKES! I did run into a guy that used to be on the KTWW and said he was booted off (I did not ask why and really don't care so please don't offer any opinions). He was from Ackworth, GA and has 2 H2s, but was riding a Harley at this event. Knows several of you. He was pleasent to talk with and knew a lot, but said he doesn't hold a candle to many of you guys (especially Dale, he pointed out).

It would be impossible to have something unique at this event, and yet everywhere I went, I had to talk about my H1! I told my brother that if you want a lot of attention and a conversation piece, get a triple. If you like to ride, find another bike! There was one in the auction exactly like mine, but I don't know what it went for. Sunday everyone was asking me if I bought the one at the auction.

For the most part, the bike ran great. Near the end of the weekend, the idle speed picked up quite a bit. I was worried about inleakage, but that does not seem to be the problem. I suspect a fouled pilot. Off idle, it ran flawlessly. Many people were amazed that it starts first or second kick every time. Went for rides in the mountains as well. Beautiful! If you have not been to this event, you should go.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:31 pm 

Had a great time.. as always. Oh, im pretty damn sure i had the only morini 3 1/2 there this year. :mrgreen:

even picked up a spare H1D motor for parts at the swap meet sunday, woo hoo!!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm 

H1Steve wrote:
I did run into a guy that used to be on the KTWW and said he was booted off (I did not ask why and really don't care so please don't offer any opinions). He was from Ackworth, GA and has 2 H2s, but was riding a Harley at this event. Knows several of you.

That would be the one and only greatly misunderstood Darrell.....aka Brn2drl....I went out with him and his crew on Friday night.....Good times!!!!

I met up with a lot of members and missed seeing a few as well......I had a great time as always.....the event and the people seem to get better every year.

My son has had some medical issues and I had a friend fly him home from college for the weekend to get some rest and see his doctor so I was not allowed to have people over to the house this year.

It was very cool to ride the KH through the paddock to Dave's pits to see him and Leo...they were hard at work getting ready for Sundays races so I moved on. I was able to hook up with Leo between races so we headed outside of the park for him to ride the KH750......he offered me some tuning tips and some suggestions for the suspension.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:35 pm 

Got a question....

Something has been bugging me....I ran into (not literally) one of you guys standing in the back of the crowd at the bike auction at Barbers... Your face was familiar and we were both wearing Gap 2-stroke event T shirts... So I probably remember your face from there ... However, I'm Sorry but I can't remember your name... I've been trying to put the name to the face ever since because I know I should know it... :banghead

Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:41 pm 

I'm new to this web site and new to Kawi triples in general. I picked up a nice 74' H1 a few weeks ago, but brought my RZ350 & Buell to Barbers. I wish I was aware of this site before today, would have liked to meet some of you folks. Stayed downtown in Birmingham where the food was great. Had breakfast & dinner with the VJMC folks on Saturday. They setup a nice area. Went to the Motus party on Saturday night down by our hotel. Wish those guys well. All I can say is Wow! What a great place for all. The setting is so beautiful and clean. Great spots to view the racing on the beautiful lawns. The museum was unbelieveable and you can view the racing from there. The side facing the track is all glass. Big swap meet, auction, AMCA, VJMC shows...Met Billy Aldrich who founded the Riding into History which I attend every year. Went out to dinner with him Friday night. He's a pilot, machinist, restorer, big VJMC member and displayed some really nice bikes. He showed a 58' Honda Dream he bought over seas, shipped it over & has owned it for over 50 years. Got to meet Brian Slark, Norton guru and now Barber head restorer. Jay Springsteen and Kevin Schwantz was there and racing. Dave Roper and Kenny Cummings, guys who I have read about and follow their racing were there. This was a pilot trip for me. I will go up on Thursday next year so I get a full Friday in. The volunteers for all the various groups setting up behind the scenes have to be commended. The weather was gorgeous and they had a great air show. Good racing, shows, events, people, food, it was top shelf! My battery died on the 5th floor of the museum, we started at the top and worked our way down! All the Barber workers/volunteers extremely pleasant, no attitudes, no bs.

http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy194/bsanorton/2011%20Barber%20Vintage%20Festival/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:09 pm 

bsanorton wrote:
I'm new to this web site and new to Kawi triples in general. I picked up a nice 74' H1 a few weeks ago, but brought my RZ350 & Buell to Barbers. I wish I was aware of this site before today, would have liked to meet some of you folks.

Glad you found the site, even it it was after the big event. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm 

Thanks Jim, I actually checked in at the other Kawi Triple site before Barber and thought it odd that there was no mention of Barber there and little activity. Today I asked a question over there & was steered here, not sure of the history, but the gentleman mention most folks moved here. I also was looking for Kawi Triples & Triumph Triples (yes, I love them all!) in the paddock areas, but must have missed you guys. There was so much going on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 pm 

I wonder.....Is this the Jay S. bike that went down on the track during a race ? Down near the end of the straight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 pm 

Did not see anyone go down Ric and saw him take the checkered flag.
Jay won Race 13 on Sunday on the bike pictured.
bsanorton: funny thing is I have taken pictures from the same places you did. Just no piccies of H*nd~s on my camera. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next