Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm 

Never owned a set of European chambers before !!! How are the Jim Lomas race pipes compared to the Jolly Moto's ???? I see FFP has the J.L. pipes for sale now !!! I also heard that Jim Lomas builds the Jolly Moto pipes,not sure if that is true or not !! So how bout some opinions as to which one is the best !! I know the J.L. look great with the cool taper head pipes,but so do the Jolly Motos and what about performance !!! Thanks for the info !!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:41 am 

first at all, Claude Rochefort who won 750cc french classic championship on 1970 with his H2 (airbox, VM 34, mild porting barrels, Yamaha RD 350 LC front rear wheels, brakes and fork) started the season with Jolly. He quickly swaped them for Lomas GP.
The reason was the Jolly break always as the welding wasn't , how say, perfect.
He say me that the Lomas were perhaps a little more torkey at middle range but mostly both pipes were equal.
Have tried Tartan's H2A with Lomas GP on a small run on a KTC UK rally.
Power comes after 4000 but my Denco RR are more impressive, didn't go high revs yet so should try again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:04 am 

I have them both in my garage now, and when comparing the sizes they are almost identical. You might almost say the JL race pipes is a copy of Jollymoto. The tuned length is about 10mm longer on JL vs Jolly, and the added length seems to come from baffle cone being a bit less steep, therefor longer as the belly diameter is the same (108mm)

The center pipe of the JL though, is way lower than center of Jollymoto. That's an issue if you use a 18 inch front wheel and have the front lowered 1 inch as I have.
I have not dynode the JL yet, but since they are close to identical as jollymoto, they will kick ass for sure. NO pipes sold new today that I know of (except WTF maybe, I have not tested them), and certainly no old school look pipes can compare to the powerband jollymoto produces (thus also JL race)
BUT...as said: Pipes like DENCO is better in mid range than Jollymoto. Maybe the JL pipes will be a bit stronger there, and that is a good thing. Adding 3 rwhp at 5000 rpm, and give away 5 rwhp at peak power 8-8500 rpm, is not a bad idea.

And yes....JL race is improved compared to jollymoto regarding strength (rear mountings)

Jim at fastfromthepast sells them Barry, the JL.

I think I can say I recommend them, even if I have not dynoed them yet. And they look good in polished stainless as well. Go for it, Saint :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:06 am 

french H2 Uriahdeep's bike

JL GP pipes, campagnolo magnesium wheels 18 front rear, magnesium Marzocchi fork, Brembpo magnesium calipers, TM 32, porting barrels, homemade alloy swingarm and rearset 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:23 am 

Tartan's bike (Andrew the scotish)

JL GP pipes Coupes Moto Legende 2014 longest ride to come trophy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Guess they make good power, 10lbs of ballast on the front wheel to keep it down....... :e11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:09 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Guess they make good power, 10lbs of ballast on the front wheel to keep it down....... :e11

but he's saving weight by using only one caliper... :silent:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:15 am 

I had a JL pipe in my hands last night, I wish I had more time to measure it properly tho! :lol:
Anyway, they looked visually how Jorgen described the Jolly's to me, pretty much a straight cone up to the 50mm long belly that was about 105mm dia. on the OD. I'm a bit puzzled by the header though, it doesn't taper down to have a smooth transition from pipe to the port. Nicely welded and braced though.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:35 pm 

The Lomas "race" pipes I saw on an H2 recently had a 110mm belly, or near as dammit. The brackets were , in my view, too small for long life. I felt the load needed to be spread a little more. Welding was ace. They made good power indeed, especially above 6000rpm.