Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: air pressure in forks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm 

My H2a came with schrader valves in the fork caps. Looks like a vintage mod add on. I've heard 10psi is a good pressure to use, but I'm want to know what my limits are as far as max pressure is concerned. I don't want to damage any seals or anything, but I would like to try higher pressures to stiffen the dampening. Does anyone know what my limits are or have a recommended pressure I should use for semi-aggressive street use?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

smoff83 wrote:
My H2a came with schrader valves in the fork caps. Looks like a vintage mod add on. I've heard 10psi is a good pressure to use, but I'm want to know what my limits are as far as max pressure is concerned. I don't want to damage any seals or anything, but I would like to try higher pressures to stiffen the dampening. Does anyone know what my limits are or have a recommended pressure I should use for semi-aggressive street use?

Any pressure will reduce seal life. Under braking the psi goes over 100 psi already.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:01 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
smoff83 wrote:

Any pressure will reduce seal life. Under braking the psi goes over 100 psi already.

Really? That's good to know. Were the schrader valves and air pressure a gimmick? I guess my next question is how can I stiffen up the front end? Progressive Suspension doesn't seem to list progressive fork springs for my bike. Spacers on top of the spring?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

smoff83 wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
smoff83 wrote:

Really? That's good to know. Were the schrader valves and air pressure a gimmick? I guess my next question is how can I stiffen up the front end? Progressive Suspension doesn't seem to list progressive fork springs for my bike. Spacers on top of the spring?

They were a fad.

Call Works shocks and ONLY talk the Pierre in tech. You will need your dressed out weight and the bikes weight, and he will fix you up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:10 pm 

smoff83 wrote:
...I would like to try higher pressures to stiffen the dampening..

Damping is different from spring stiffness (spring rate) and spring pre-load (ride height). Are you trying to increase damping, get a higher spring rate, or change the ride height? (or some combination of the above?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:33 pm 

Jim wrote:
smoff83 wrote:
...I would like to try higher pressures to stiffen the dampening..

Damping is different from spring stiffness (spring rate) and spring pre-load (ride height). Are you trying to increase damping, get a higher spring rate, or change the ride height? (or some combination of the above?)

I'm not an expert when it comes to this, but here it goes...

Ride height is ok
the front sags too much when braking
when going into a corner, it feels like the front is "diving in" too much. I would like it to be more firm when cornering and my thought is I will have more control with a firmer front end. I think I just need more dampening an/or progressive rate springs

Quote:

Call Works shocks and ONLY talk the Pierre in tech. You will need your dressed out weight and the bikes weight, and he will fix you up.

Thanks John. Is 423lbs, according to the spec sheet, a good number or should I get it weighed?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Actual weight plus rider.
When air was added about 6psi was used but different springs or added spacer length is better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Get a true weight, the factory was usually way off. And there is no compression damping.