Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The race bike to be.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:42 am 

Great thread, will follow with interest. Shouldayelledout, would've given you a H1 rear hub for postage, anything early H1 you need that is a bit weird/hard to find, let me know. (No ignition, seats, mufflers). Raced a stock H1 back in the day, and beat a few guys with those fancy triumph brakes!! Don't be afraid to keep us updated! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:46 am 

Glad the hub made it unscathed!!!

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 am 

What else do you need I can donate
In parts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 am 

I'm a fan of Excel rims. They're very round and easy to true.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 pm 

Jim wrote:
I'm a fan of Excel rims. They're very round and easy to true.

Hate them square ones eh??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:42 am 

I'm humbled by the replies and special thanks for the offer of parts from Porschedave and RodH2. I may take youz up on the offer.
I don't really need too much H1 specific parts except pistons and a few other wee bits which I think ive got sorted.
Will post again in a couple of months when ive made some sort of progress.
Cheers, Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 am 

I've got a good feeling about this...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:15 pm 

Mr. Foully wrote:
I've got a good feeling about this...

Yeah me too, and Steve is a solid guy I have dealt with a few times.
Good people.
Keep the pics coming Steve....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:05 pm 

Had a good day today. Ive been struggling to find a suitable front end that will work with the conical hub (has bottom clamps both sides) because the conical shaft stays in the hub. Went to our local annual swap meet and found something in great nick and didn't cost much.
[url][/url]Image
The guy said they were off a Honda cb350 but I think not. Can anyone here recognize what bike they come off? heres another pick
[url][/url]Image
They are quite long so could be dirt bike, 35mm diameter which is max our rules allow for the class I think. :? They are possibly post 72
which would make them illegal but everyone around here is very relaxed and they do look old. Forks are forks, internals didn't change really until they went upsidedown in the 90s. My h1d forks have similar internals as my 89 fzr1000! quite strange that when you look at how everything else developed through those years. The rest of the bike will be legal :)
Anyway, they will need shortening and the triple trees aren't wide enough. But I have a plan. I also got a ebay bargain I thought.
about 30USD + shipping. I didn't have one of these so this was my best option.
[url][/url]Image
All this shiny stuff I am buying is making me start to think about the finished look of the bike. I was going to do the grunge ruff look
but I now cant do that. The bike will get new rear shocks too. we are allowed new shocks as long as they don't have remote or external reservoirs.
So maybe everything will get vapour blasting/polish and leave the old tank as is. we will see
P.S thanks Steve (III)
P.P.S ive done more searching and the forks are Honda XL. 1972 on. so I'm all good there. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 am 

Done some more work and now really starting at the heart of the bike. Upon closer inspection
Seems to me this was caused by non shiming. The top brackets are nearly 5mm too wide so it had to crack either up the top or down the bottom. so it did.
Trimmed off all the crap I don't need and prepared for the fix. Owned green one for 30 years
seems I haven't trimmed excess off yet in that pick
saved the bracket. Pipe size is not possible to be bought here, so had to spin a bit up in the lathe.
The frame looks pretty straight but I will find out more latter when I offer up the new swingarm and take some proper measurements.
Front. Here is a mockup of the front brake anchor plate lug ready to weld. I considered doing a bodj job with some sort of clamp bracket but as the conicle anchor plate is so light and thin any torsion forces would crack it. So I don't really have any choice but mimmick the triumph lug on the forks. Hopefully welding here wont upset things. My front end success depends on this weld. I will tack, then fill with water, MIG. I'll let you know how it goes.
Found a triple tree that suits forks and hub width. FZR 250. ive already cut a bit off the front in this pick. I will probably round things off and polish. Nice and light. Also don't have to modify the center shaft. its the correct length for the H1 headstock and taper bearings are on there way. All good.
Springs. 0.9kg after some deliberation
Decided to make my own swingarm as or rules dictate that all major components are period (Swingarm is a major component)
But modifications are acceptable as long as..............
So I decided on the box section swingarm that stinkwheel racers made back in the day. After much consideration decided on stock late H1 length.
Spun some S/S bushes to go from triumph to Honda forks
The frame looks straight but the bloody swingarm bosses don't point at each other. (uncontrolled factory weld shrinkage is my best guess) So I put some threaded rod though gave them a heat and bashed the crap out of the rod. Much closer now. All diameters are good though. Frame bracing next and spending lots of money. Cheers.

Last edited by COOPS on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next