Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm 

Just bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonatta with a direct injection engine
Manual says that Top Tier Gas should be used; many internet forums agree that direct port injection benfits with TTG which maintains a minimum standard for additive packages
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Manual also says that if this fuel is not available then one should use their fuel system cleaner every 3,000 miles which turn out to be Techron (available at Auto Zone)

I am not syaing any of the above claims are true but maybe they could be.

In the past I've used 93 or 94 octane name brand fuel in my H2 and didn't use fuel additives.

Looking for experience regarding TTG and/or fuel system cleaner especially with an H series bike.
Think using some Techron might help clean the top end?
Could it hurt?
TIA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm 

No replies?
Even to say what a stupid post; you guys feeling ok? :wtf:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 pm 

ok...what a stupid post :wave:
:wave:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm 

Our shop does several fuel injection cleaning services each month. We have tried many cleaners. Our experience, Techron is one of the best if not the best fuel system cleaner. Justice Brothers [JB] also has one that is very good. GM makes a top end cleaner additive and we usually mix a couple ounces of that in as well. However, I don't think any of them are made for 2 cycles. Could try adding some to the fuel but it is at your risk.

Don't know how you could do it but plain water [added while running] will clean carbon off a piston better than any additive. Reason I say that, ever look at an automotive piston after the head gasket fails and allows water into the chamber? Like new.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

ride harder......... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm 

When I was a wrench for Saturn I remember the fuel cleaner additive that was bottled with the the Saturn name on it was Techron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 am 

What is the quality of the gas you guys have? Never heard anyone using anykind of fuel additive or fuel system cleaners here in newer efi cars.. only if someone is trying to bring back to life a really old fuel injection engine, some MB or BMW from '70s or '80s.. :?

Btw the new Sonata is not bad looking at all, Hyundais are selling very well here having the best warranty in the market, 5 years full warranty without km limits.. we do not have any more the Sonata, it is called i40 here and the only model which is available now is the station wagon, sedan will follow:

What a shame they spoilt the nice chrome "smile" here and made it look like a cheap european Ford:

And the engines are so small, biggest (and only) options are 1,7 litres, both gasoline and diesels.

How do you like your new Sonata?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm 

We only have the 4 dr sedans but I like the wagon; the warranty is what sold it for me 10 year / 100,000 mile power train.
Good handling and brakes, quiet ride, decent power as the 4cyl enigne makes some torque from 2K to 3.5K and the 6 speed automatic trans works realy well; like the body lines and brand new I'm getting about 28-30 MPG highway and 24-27 combined.
Got the 1st tier option which is alloy wheels and auto seat; $21,610
Had a 2000 Maxima and this car is much nicer (as it should be with 12 years of refinement)
Really wanted a used Lexus or Accura and similar car would have had 50K miles

Just found out that the 2011 Sonatta with the same engine does not mention Top Tier Gas in its' owners manual; did they have clogged injectors under waranty, or are they partnered up with big oil with some $$ changing hands?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:42 pm 

Jim, are you getting your bass rig(s) in the Sonata? :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 am 

Jim thanks for sharing your first impressions, the gasoline price here is getting up again because of euro crisis... tax increases as usual. I've started to look around for less consumpting cars, Sonata is a good choice.