Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Shift fork wear
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Jim wrote:
John, he was asking about grinding them about 0.010" to get rid of the roughness, not whether he can use them as-is. I'd think that would work great, but I have little transmission experience, so my opinion might not be worth much.

Yes, well, dog engagement is questionable, much less removing 1/4 mm more.

The reason for the damage is a few causes. First is the linkage which wears out very quickly, causing a lot of slop, making for easy mis-shifts. Improper "speed" shifting, and no undercut to take the load off of the forks.

Fork wear is not near as important with undercutting, which is greatly advised to have done to triple transmissions. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 pm 

Just offering these, stock forks are both heat treated and hard chrome, so, if they are redone, make sure the repair process is one that is proven workable.

The next thing is, these transmissions were designed to use a good 85W-90 natural gear oil, and sliding parts will wear quicker with both lower weight oils, and synthetics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 pm 

redcloud1 wrote:
BarryB wrote:
A couple of vendors sell new ones for H1 and H2 (so far as a set). Little pricey but if ya need'em ---- buy'em.
Diablo for example says:
"New shift forks ...... common problem and well known weakness of the H1 and H2 triples is the transmission shift forks.
Very high quality remanufactured using the latest in metallurgical advancements".

I saw those Barry--I appreciate the nudge and vendor info...ultimately If I have to hemmorage the money I would probably go with Diablo :think: ideally they would live on forever given routine maintenance, etc...what are some of the primary causes for grooving and the wear patterns to develop?
Improper or lack of shimming?
Rough finish on the gear faces that could be cleaned up?
Thrashing? :lol:

John talks about wear causes above. I suggest the undercut too -- I just had Paul Gast do mine while dealing with other transmission issues.
I like Diablo, have been dealing with Ellen and team for years but like everything --- some things are cheaper (a lot) elsewhere so shop around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
Just offering these, stock forks are both heat treated and hard chrome, so, if they are redone, make sure the repair process is one that is proven workable.

The next thing is, these transmissions were designed to use a good 85W-90 natural gear oil, and sliding parts will wear quicker with both lower weight oils, and synthetics.

Noted on all points...thank you. The weld on these would be a trick, and is prone to cracking in the cool down phase...then there is as you mention, the heat treat has to be just right and then there is the coating. At this point I am going to pull the trigger on a new set...you've got one time around the track so while I can, I want to do it right :D

I remember reading that Jess Bikes supplies these as well? seems like the going rate for these is around 400 buckaroos.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:43 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
...Fork wear is not near as important with undercutting, which is greatly advised to have done to triple transmissions. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great descriptions and info--you guys are so knowledgeable. I believe my gears have already been undercut. I'll try to nab some pics and post them up so It can be verified.

I don't have much history on the bike other than it has been apart at least once for porting, a once over...guessing they have done the undercutting at some point? The bike clock shows a little over 18k miles...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 pm 

Feedback on any of the aftermarket shift forks?

I found these...they are made from 4340...I believe that is a cro-moly. pretty tough stuff.
https://z1parts.net/shift-fork-l3/

I am considering these as well as those made by Diablo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:18 pm 

redcloud1 wrote:

It's unlikely that Diablo makes them. They may actually be made by the same entity as the Z1 forks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:08 pm 

Jim wrote:
redcloud1 wrote:

It's unlikely that Diablo makes them. They may actually be made by the same entity as the Z1 forks.

I'm sure they don't - like so many repops most are from one company.