Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:52 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Nah, mine's too long and involved, with way too many people and places to list here. Mostly uninteresting for the most part. I've been riding since age 3, mechanic helper to my dad since age 8, whom passed away when I was 12. Found out after he passed, he raced 3 Indy 500 races in the late '20's, early 30's. Very interesting person, my dad was.

big balls your father 3 times on 500 Indy races :!: Miller car :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:03 pm 

Thanks for the welcomes to the board . Tried to add this picture when I posted . My S3. Yes my gas cap was open.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 pm 

Very nice looking S3. I'm one of the few who prefers triples without the stock decals, and the color is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:13 pm 

Jim wrote:
Very nice looking S3. I'm one of the few who prefers triples without the stock decals, and the color is great.

You like the gaters too, right Jim?

I agree, bike looks the business - Higgs pipes?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:24 pm 

I do like the look of the gaiters. I used to have some like that on my H2. Now that I've had some experience with them, I would keep the stock type dust seals on, and then put gaiters over them if I wanted the look. Gaiters pump a lot of air in and out and bring dirt with it, so they really didn't keep dirt off the main seals as well as I expected them to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:38 pm 

Jim wrote:
I do like the look of the gaiters. I used to have some like that on my H2. Now that I've had some experience with them, I would keep the stock type dust seals on, and then put gaiters over them if I wanted the look. Gaiters pump a lot of air in and out and bring dirt with it, so they really didn't keep dirt off the main seals as well as I expected them to.

They do if they have breather holes at the top

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:42 pm 

Well, as long as the air they breath isn't dusty, or it's raining, etc..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:40 am 

Ive been riding motorcycles since I was 10, started out on a step thru Honda 50 my Dad brought home, he said get it to run and its yours. I wasn’t capable of getting anything to run at 10 but my older cousin Jerry was. He was 15 at the time, man I thought he was cool! Him and my uncle would come out and bring dirt bikes, in those days where I lived a guy could ride down the country roads to a homemade motocross track about 2 miles away. They came out one weekend and Jerry got it running, he showed me how it all worked, oil, gas, carb , spark, brakes, throttle...the works...I think he thought he was cool too :D I rode that thing a lot! It amazes me now how much abuse that step through could take.
A couple of years latter I got a “real” motorcycle a Suzuki TS 90.
Then my dad bought a Kawasaki 250 triple, I remember that bike being FAST! It had to be, it had three cylinders! At 14 yrs old I got in more trouble with that bike for riding on the street...It finally blew up, probably caused by my mother’s prayers…
Through those years and years to follow there where other bikes, an old TS 175 and an old RM 125, a KZ 750 twin and a Yamaha 750 special.
My cousin and I developed a close friendship because of motorcycles, rode everywhere together, many many motorcycle trips with him.
Bought a Suzuki GS 1150 in 1987 that was heavily abused, again Jerry and I rebuilt it (man I miss that guy :cry: ) I still own it and love it, spent too many years on it to leave it now.
I never really had the funds to own more than 1 bike at a time or buy a new one, mostly because I was always spending money on hoping them up in some fashion or another :roll:
Now I have a 3 but only through inheritance…and they all still need work!!

Never was a 2 stroke guy and probably never would have owned one BUT I received the H2 (and a kz1000) that were Jerrys from my uncle when Jerry died.
Jerry started the H2 project from a heap he found in 1996 in a neighbors junk yard. He spent many hour and $$$ on it.
I really wanted to put it together in his memory, more as a memorial I guess than the time sucking, life of its own, project it turned into :crazy:
(Writing this reminded me he always would suck me into some crazy A$$ thing that would get me in trouble :mrgreen: )

I like the bike a lot, its just satisfies something in me to work on it, to ride it, Great bike, Great fun!
Now Im thinking I should get an F7 or similar that would be a blast too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:49 am 

far as motorcycle go, late comer. didn't get my first one until i was about to turn 20. 81cb750c. few of my friends had them, tom with a 73 cb750 and eric with a GT550. this was in early 92.

having have been into cars/hotrodding stuff since i was 15, my friends tried to have an intervention, "dont get one. weve seen you drive, you'll kill yourself' . Girlfriend of mine (had been dating 4 + yrs at this point) at the time actually forbade me to buy one.

So, i of course bought this POS dohc CB750. took me months to get it running, finally got it sorted. must have rebuilt those carbs 10 times. no prior experience, no clue, no manual. just kept hammering away at it. finally got it running.

tom was my roomate at the time, and gave me the 5 minute how crap works speech. so, i actually took my first ride on that, actually made it back w/out dropping it. and it was all down hill from there.

that POS lived about 3 years until the timing chain snapped. in that time i discovered classic bike, and the vintage Japanese stuff. picked up a CL350 2 yrs in to teach the new GF how to ride. had that for about 3 yrs and was using that as my only bike.. which during that time i procured a basket case 73 RD350 as a trade for a tube radio restoration.

this was my first 2 stroke. took me all summer to get it put together and dilaed in. again, no reference for what was right except for a chilton repair manual. i finally hit that magic tuning spot where it was actually runnign right and that was in, the real spark was lit.

this was around 94-95. the cl died and i got a 76CB750F which was a fantastic bike, but the rd was the real thrill.

then they just started coming and going for the next 21 yrs.

the first triple was in 1999, was an abandoned S2 at a towing company after my truck got towed and i had to recover it. (left it in afire lane at my apt one night).

the owner of the towing company basically interviewed me before selling it to me. it was rough, but overall not bad (gold frame, flat black paint. yuck!) this was the bike i brought with me to the first gap meet.

so, i certianly have not been into it as long as most of you guys, but have since owned (and had running riding used):

over 18 RD's
1 rz
gt750,gt380, gt550, gt185, gt250's
1 t500
2 h2's 3 h1's 1 s3 4 S2's (still own one)
a minarelli indian, rx50, ds185, dt50, 250, yz, on and on and on, i wont even get into the 4 stroke stuff.

so, inside of 26 years, i can absolutely say i've owned 100+ bikes, and have worked on probably 200.

about 3 yrs ago, got back into cars but that's another story......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:10 am 

m in sc wrote:
Girlfriend of mine (had been dating 4 + yrs at this point) at the time actually forbade me to buy one.

...picked up a CL350 2 yrs in to teach the new GF how to ride.

There is a lesson here... :think: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next