Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No fun at the Ca. DMV
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am 

I bought a 72 H2 frame in June on ebay. Seller was located in Oregon and stated that he had lien title paper work. I contacted him before bidding and was
told it would be no problem for me to get a title. I had a vin inspector come to my house in August and got all the paper work in order, so I thought.
I was in the middle of buying a house and moving so nothing else was done till this past Friday. Went to the Ca DMV with a appointment and hit a road block.
The guy that was helping me didn't know how to proceed and got out a big notebook to try and find guidelines to follow. Had to pay $202 for back fees
and registration but no title or plate till I get a Oregon title, crap. Tried to call the Oregon DMV while all this was taking place but had no luck in getting
through. I'm thinking now I should have just gone the Vermont title route with this one.

Anyone here live in Oregon and could give some advice? Doesn't Mach 3 restore live in Oregon? From what I can tell on the Oregon DMV website I need to fill out
a Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226). Hopefully they except my vin inspection report I had done here. I don't want to have the frame powder coated until I have a title. May just look for another 72-3 frame that already has a title.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm 

How long ago was it last titled?
It drops off after seven years except stolen stuff through highway patrol
I go with application for lost but I understand you don't want to assemble it unless it's gonna fly Ron
Lost title cost 34 bucks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:30 pm 

I should have played that card Dave. I didn't think I was going to have a problem with the paperwork I have. My first triple was titled with the lost title story
back in 2008. Going to try and contact the Oregon DMV tomorrow and see what they suggest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:50 pm 

Oregon isn't too bad. They will first do a search of the 5 bordering states to see if the bike is stolen. You could have done this before buying over the phone. Call Salem DMV directly. The number is online and I always get through so not sure why you are having trouble. At this point if the bike isn't stolen, you can apply for a lost title or if it is titled, you are in. Did you buy this frame from a salvage yard in Salem? I saw one there about a year ago. Good luck. Shouldn't be too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:33 pm 

I do have lien title paper work from the dealer in Oregon that I bought the frame from. I would think when that was generated it would have come up with
any problems at that point. I not going to spend much time with this. Will just buy another frame with a title if I have too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:44 pm 

SO you went into the DMV with nothing, spent $202 for nothing, and left with nothing? I went into my DMV with a bill of sale, an appraisal from NADA.com, a police report, and $30 and my title is right beside me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm 

I went with a stack of paper work, spent $202 and then came home with nothing. :wtf:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

Let's hope you get your title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 am 

Well it took 6 months but I finally got my title for the H2 today. I was shocked when I looked at it and found out its a clear title and not salvage :clap:
The DMV had told me from the start because I was building the bike from parts that it had to have a salvage/reconstruction title. :shock: Hope I have
as good of luck with the RGV now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:37 am 

Good deal Ron ! Now let's get it rolling!

I'm trying to title my new car tomorrow in Petaluma . I bought a numbers matching 1973 Z28 .
I'm hoping to get it done in minutes instead of hours.