Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Check Valves
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:39 am 

if the later lines are screwed anyway, you can break em apart though and use soft lines as the ends are barbed. just fyi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 am 

Hey Mark,
When you have a minute, could you design, fabricate and sell us some 72 H2 replacement check valves with line assemblies at a really low price as we all are broke? Think of the volume quantities you could sell; probably 25 sets! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:15 am 

Even if you lose money on each sale, you can make it up in volume.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 am 

I can certainly test blow off and holding ability. If I had a sacrificial later oil line, I could see what could be done. I am a little bit handy. Joe Byrd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:30 am 

mraxl wrote:
All lines after '73 models are as shown below. They are not designed to be disassembled. However, they can be tested. Any lines tested should be tested for both sealing and blow off pressure.
The late lines can be soaked in a cleaning medium to desolve any crud that may be preventing seal.
From what I have seen from posts on those that have been checked, most early valves have a 2.5-3.0 blow off.

Why does Kawasaki need such high blow off pressure? I sourced some Rotax check valves and they only have 1.5 psi and have no crankcase filling problems.

Don

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 am 

somebody back when were were posting in Spamalot had sourced some all metal ones that looked really good for soft lines. were 2 or 3 psi cracking? this was 3-4 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:12 am 

don k wrote:
Why does Kawasaki need such high blow off pressure? I sourced some Rotax check valves and they only have 1.5 psi and have no crankcase filling problems.

Don

just a guess, but might it have something to do with "where" in relation to the checkvalves the oiltank sits? (longer run, tank mounted higher, etc)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Admin

The higher the pressure, the better the seal and ability to overcome the crankcase pressure :?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 am 

scrambler73 wrote:
just a guess, but might it have something to do with "where" in relation to the checkvalves the oiltank sits? (longer run, tank mounted higher, etc)

Motor oil creates a pressure of about 0.385 psi per foot of height. To get 1 psi of oil pressure, you'd need a height of 2.6 feet from the oil surface in the tank to the check valves, and my H2's distance is less than one foot. It would seem like a valve with 1 psi cracking pressure would have nearly a 3:1 safety factor, as far as leaking oil from the tank into the engine when not running. Maybe it's more of what mraxl is saying... the valves need to resist "suction" pulses in the crank case that would tend to increase oil flow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:37 am 

Jim wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:

Motor oil creates a pressure of about 0.385 psi per foot of height. To get 1 psi of oil pressure, you'd need a height of 2.6 feet from the oil surface in the tank to the check valves, and my H2's distance is less than one foot. It would seem like a valve with 1 psi cracking pressure would have nearly a 3:1 safety factor, as far as leaking oil from the tank into the engine when not running. Maybe it's more of what mraxl is saying... the valves need to resist "suction" pulses in the crank case that would tend to increase oil flow.

one learns more here by accident, then by design. :thumbup: