Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 pm 

Well guys I am trying to figure out what is the best way to clean these carbs, I have asked around and everybody has a different Idea on what to do, hot tank, never dull till your elbow falls off :e4 A very reliable board member told me he has heard of dipping them in muratic acid for a short time, then a easy rub down with never dull, I put a float bowl that was wasted and marked up in the acid for exactly 60 seconds, I was very impressed on what the result was, :D I just want to bring them back to a better look than what I have. I am trying to do my best on my restorations and this certain board member, Bless his soul, didnt like the way my carbs looked on a bike I showed him. :cry: :cry: He did like everything else I did, Gave me A+. :wtf: :wtf: Please tell me if anybody has tried this before, I want to stick the carb body in and see what happens. Good or bad Idea. :banghead
Tell me what you guys think. :thumbup: or :thumbdown:
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:40 pm 

Muriatic is pretty nasty stuff! I'd be afraid it could eat the threads holding the pilot jets etc too fast.

What you actually want is phosphoric acid. Home Depot carries this as Behr "concrete floor etch" (be sure you purchase the one labeled phosphoric acid). Timing is the key to get the colour you want. If you leave your carb parts in too long they tend to go dark.

J

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply, I was worried about the threads, The muratic acid I have was used to etch my concrete, Thanks for the input I will get some tomorrow. Do they sell it in a gallon can ?, and how long do you dip them for to get the color I did for 1 minute in Muratic. :D

Last edited by mach3restore on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

muratic is what I use to eat al off of seized iron liners. Too strong me thinks.... Not sure about the zing carb bodies though....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
muratic is what I use to eat al off of seized iron liners. Too strong me thinks....

Thanks moo, Thats why I just tried it on a Shi!!!! bowl,Again Thanks. :o :o
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:58 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Muriatic is pretty nasty stuff! I'd be afraid it could eat the threads holding the pilot jets etc too fast.

What you actually want is phosphoric acid. Home Depot carries this as Behr "concrete floor etch" (be sure you purchase the one labeled phosphoric acid). Timing is the key to get the colour you want. If you leave your carb parts in too long they tend to go dark.

J

Then rinse with hot water ?????????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:32 am 

I like the stuff from Autozone in a gallon can with a basket. Forgot the name of it.

Terry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:04 am 

mach3restore wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I was worried about the threads, The muratic acid I have was used to etch my concrete, Thanks for the input I will get some tomorrow. Do they sell it in a gallon can ?, and how long do you dip them for to get the color I did for 1 minute in Muratic. :D

Yes, the phosphoric floor etch comes in a gallon jug (as does the muriatic floor etch) hence my caution to identify the right stuff at the store.

I like to tie a lanyard to the object and agitate it a bit while it is in the acid. A scrub with a tooth brush helps too. Keep an eye on the part and once its clean you're there (I've never timed it and it would depend on how dirty the part is).

I have also boiled parts (petcock) in vinegar with similar results to the phosphoric acid. As I recall I immersed a part in vinegar in a glass jar and microwaved it at one time :lol: ! And as you say rinse with plenty of fresh water when your done (not hot enough to scold you though).

J

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:32 am 

As an FYI
Muriatic is available in different strenghts so one mans 1 minute may be anothers 15 seconds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:54 am 

I used an mild acid-"pickle" which is used for cleaning copper and silver in metalsmithing. Looks the same as yours after. Your float bowls clearly aren't affected other than being clean, I would do the rest just like you did that float bowl. I left a cap in for a longer time and got some etching on it.

I have you phosphoric acid, lemon juice, simple green etc., heated, cold, with and without the ultrasonic. The best result was from the acid, warm. Many thing tend to turn them somewhat blackish-the zinc in the pot metal reacts to a lot of things.

Try a soft brass brush after the dip and rinse. It really makes them look like new without looking "polished". I use wd40 after which keeps them from oxidizing, which is due to the zinc in the pot metal.

I have pictures at home I'll post later.

John