Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Exhaust temp sensor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm 

Any one running them?
How far from the piston or exhaust port do you put them?
Do they help in tuning?
And what temps would one expect to see?

Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp sensor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 am 
Site Admin

5-5 1/2" from piston should be 1250 max temp. I ran one for a while, only really good for WFO. Part throttle shows low temps. Deto actually shows colder. For a street bike, not really necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 am 

Ive never done anything necessary to any of my bikes!! They were all better off stock :lol: :lol:

I was thinking about this, I have seen EGT gauges and the one that measure the plug/head temp, and was wondering what the different ways of collecting temps would allow a guy to know.
Im my mind the plug type may be better on the street because of the fact that the EGT would fluctuate so much based on a ton of factors, where the plug type would be more stable, it would show an average, and would show if one cylinder was off for any reason.
But if a guy knew how to read an EGT properly it would provide more info but probably needs a much more specific location, and like you said John, what temp means what because its far more complex.

So Im trying to decide if theres any value in one over the other.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 am 

Karts always run cylinder head temps, under the spark plug. Much more useful, stable temp readings, and the temp that they sieze at will be found with that, but you have to sieze it first to know where that is....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am 

Get a hold of Walms here or on the Canadian board. He's been running temperature sensors for a while, I think the spark plug type sensors but I'm not sure. He seems to like using them full time. Personally I'd rather watch the road. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am 

I can watch on coming traffic with my peripheral vision Jim, watching temps is so much more interesting! lol
The spark plug type won't always save your bacon but a darn good investment if you ask me!
Ithey detected a failed crank seal while at idle on a start up once. They are also handy for confirming carb sync.
I've seen different normal temps depending on the pipe used but seems to be pretty consistent for max temp so you get an idea pretty quick if something has changed. Best of all they would be the cheapest way to go compared to EGT's

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am 

EGT, marginal dyno tool, useless on bike. Spark plug/head temp sensor, good both ways, as also is sensing crankcase mixture temps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm 

I have tried to follow Walms on his PUNY 500cc triple....The only thing that made me more embarrassed was trying to follow Mitch E on his TINY 400 :shock: :oops: :oops:
I only wish I could ride like that! Im a grandma!

I think you all have confirmed what I thought. EGT is complicated at best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

I had a single, and got this, but never used it........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am 

The spark plug/head sensor will show you just the head surface temperature. If you would run for example a water-cooled engine the sensor will confirm the water temperature - nothing more!
So you can use this sensor type as an indication - hence it will show different readings on e.g. S2/H1/H2 - but you will never know what's going on inside the cylinder. Next issue is the head/spark plug sensor will react on temperature changes very slow - a seizure will be found at a stage where it is already too late. The EGT will show you that the seizure is coming - enough time to stop the engine without causing a damage!!