Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm 

Problem is you guys can use regular diesel and we can only run low sulfur (thanks to CA)
Discussed this very topic with RB; rented a diesel Ford in Italy for 2 weeks and ran it very hard; mileage with 4 people in the car was incredible; US diesels are not nearly as good as European; still with fuel price differences think the US is better off

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:30 pm 

H2Chris...

I could export my Dakota R/T 5.9 over for your towing duties...want to cruise at 100mph?

or my brother's 1 ton Dodge van with a 7500# tracked front loader on it.

The 350 lb/ft of torque is great but the mileage sorta sucks.

Last edited by crazydave on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:36 pm 

h2chris wrote:
Wow, it's a good job gas is cheap here in the USA! I had a 500 mile round trip to collect a car from Yorkshire and bring it back home to Dorset, here in the UK. Car is a 1.9 ltr turbo diesel and maintained a steady 75-80mph all the way back and returned 46mpg. It usually averages 58mpg!!!
isn't speed limits suppose to be 70 MPH on highways in UK, Chris :lol: :lol: :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:50 am 

Jim C wrote:
Problem is you guys can use regular diesel and we can only run low sulfur (thanks to CA)
Discussed this very topic with RB; rented a diesel Ford in Italy for 2 weeks and ran it very hard; mileage with 4 people in the car was incredible; US diesels are not nearly as good as European

Jeez Jim! I just landed in the U.K. hornery and jetlagged and you go and post on One of my favourite subjects! :evil: We have had Low Sulphur Diesel in Europe for a good many years which is exactly the reason that our diesels over here get such incredible mileage! :P And EXACTLY the reason why it winds the hell out of me that you guys are finally getting Low Sulphur Diesel (Which is why it costs more to refine and is now around the same price of Gas) BUT . . . the U.S. still won't import all the high mileage diesel cars from around the Globe and still promote the falicy that ALL diesels are smoke belching noisy P.O.S.'s! :P Again, you only see what you are told . . . How about the Chrysler 300 . . a popular car in the U.S. ? it's been available as a diesel AND in 4WD over here for YEARS! :banghead .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRYSLER-300C ... 2566e30e0c

Quote:
H2Chris...

I could export my Dakota R/T 5.9 over for your towing duties...want to cruise at 100mph?

The 350 lb/ft of torque is great but the mileage sorta sucks.

How about cruising at 150 :shock: - I remember 10 years ago - yes TEN years ago taking out a new B10 BMW Alpina Diesel - with 400 N/M of Torque AND 40 miles to the Gallon!

In fact I just found the test on it . . ..

Quote:
The D10 handles beautifully, tops out at 158mph, pops to sixty in about 6.6secs and can return over 40mpg with super-low CO2 emissions into the bargain

And don't even start me on THIS One :.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... te-class/1
:wave:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm 

RB,
I can cruise at 100 with my 340 Dart on the trailer and if I want to really blow the fuel budget, it will hit the limiter at 129.

And a simple keystroke will remove that but it is pointless.

If more capacity is required, I use the Ford SuperDuty cutaway box truck with a kitted 7.3 turbo.
9860#s empty 15,000#s as shown with an empty box.

And then if ultimate car carrying capacity is called for....
600hp and 2150#s of torque works well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 am 

Yeah, but those things are not really cars, are they!!??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:28 am 

Crazy Dave, where did you find the hitch for a Mustang with that load rating?
I'd like to do the same with my Stang but have only found hitches rated for 700 lbs.
BTW, looking for a hide a hitch style, I don't want my car buddies calling me a wanker...lol

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 am 

R.B. wrote:
Jim C wrote:
Discussed this very topic with RB; rented a diesel Ford in Italy for 2 weeks and ran it very hard; mileage with 4 people in the car was incredible; US diesels are not nearly as good as European

Jeez Jim! I just landed in the U.K. hornery and jetlagged and you go and post on One of my favourite subjects! :evil: We have had Low Sulphur Diesel in Europe for a good many years which is exactly the reason that our diesels over here get such incredible mileage! :P And EXACTLY the reason why it winds the hell out of me that you guys are finally getting Low Sulphur Diesel (Which is why it costs more to refine and is now around the same price of Gas) BUT . . . the U.S. still won't import all the high mileage diesel cars from around the Globe and still promote the falicy that ALL diesels are smoke belching noisy P.O.S.'s! :P Again, you only see what you are told . . . How about the Chrysler 300 . . a popular car in the U.S. ? it's been available as a diesel AND in 4WD over here for YEARS! :banghead .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRYSLER-300C ... 2566e30e0c

Now I'm really confused Rick.
I could understand the difference in US. vs. UK. diesel performance if the fuels or emission requirements were different but am thinking that I am mis-informed and that perhaps both countries have similar fuels and clean air specs.
If the above is true then either the US is stupid, or, there is some sort of conspiracy with either the car or fuel producers.

I just remember that diesel Ford station wagon in Italy and how well it drove using such little fuel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm 

WALMS,
It is a DrawTight hitch. 200lbs tongue weight, 2000lbs capacity.

http://www.drawtite.com/trailerhitches1.html

They make them for all Mustangs. Get the plug-in wiring adapter. Makes it a snap.

With Hitch

Without Hitch ...a little black paint will hide the rust.

Easy bolt-in! 4 Bolts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm 

Hides pretty good! :thumbup: