Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 pm 

I don't want to spend a grand on another truck rental nor the gas cost to run it.
My old Ford F100 is just that - old but runs good enough for local stuff, I don't trust it for a 4k mile trip though and I don't want to buy another truck anyway.

What I AM thinking is a trailer hitch for my Chrysler 300. It's more than able to pull a 3-rail trailer with triples on it.
Has plenty of trunk space.
It's a 300Limited and VERY comfortable.
I know it gets a solid 28MPG freeway (not pulling a trailer though). I'll check my 300 forum for any info.

What I found for hitches was quite interesting:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Stylin! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 am 

Bought a Curt class one hitch for my 2002 Sebring convertible, at Advanced Auto online.
$86.00 to my door and it basicly bolts right on.
Some slight work like dropping the tail end of the exhaust to slip it under it.
Towed my Concours, 600lbs+ and it worked mint.
I would recommend a class 2 or 3 for hauling, but thats all I could find in a rush and the price was right.
Hauling a Tractor Supply trailer, Carryon brand.
Good for up to 2000 lbs with 3/4" plywood deck and a Harbor Frieght garage stand mounted to that.
Works really great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 am 

$1000 rental!! :o
Plus gas. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am 

Mikepdutton wrote:

Actually is was closer to 1275 rental with extra insurance and tax. Was A 2 week rental and almost 4,000 round trip.

I REALLY WANTED TO GO TO THE GAP AND I DID - so now planning for next year :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 pm 

You should have no problem using the car. Just be careful with the brakes.

As you know, I tow my bikes with my Mustang GT and have no problem doing so.

Last Friday, I was asked to take a new golf cart to our facilities at the MB plant outside Tuscaloosa, Al. (They make the SUVs there).

No problem and I used the co. trailer to drag a 2 seater gas model up there and bring the old one back.
They did (however) fail to mention that I would be bringing back a 3 seater electric cart.
It weighs 1250# compared to 800# for the small gas model and is over 2 ft. longer.

It was a real tight fit, heavy and areodynamic as a barn door and about as big. Still could cruise at 75-78 mph but the longer or steeper hills demanded a downshift to maintain the pace. Still got 15 mpg for the 1100 mile trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm 

How was the tounge weight with that cart in the trailer??!! From what i have seen, the class 2 hitches are only rated for 250lbs tounge weight. I have toyed with the idea of a hitch on my car (3000gt) as well, but the suspension compression from tounge weight would probably be bad with the reduced ground clearance with the hitch below the bumper. That second pic looks real trick though! Would be nice and hidden when not in use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:22 pm 

BarryB wrote:
Mikepdutton wrote:

Actually is was closer to 1275 rental with extra insurance and tax. Was A 2 week rental and almost 4,000 round trip.

I REALLY WANTED TO GO TO THE GAP AND I DID - so now planning for next year :thumbup:

I'm a fan of plaaning ahead! :mrgreen:
Extra insurance for Gumby riding with? Or is his driving recond that bad it cost more?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:42 pm 

Homey,
The tongue weight was about 300lbs. When we put the cart in with the front tires up against the front of the box, it picked the back of the car up about 4 inches!
I do have AirLift airbags in the rear coils and have never had to use them.
Other than dragging a parachute, it wasn't too bad.

Now this was a big load. Only had to take it about 1 mile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 pm 

Wow, it's a good job gas is cheap here in the USA! I had a 500 mile round trip to collect a car from Yorkshire and bring it back home to Dorset, here in the UK. Car is a 1.9 ltr turbo diesel and maintained a steady 75-80mph all the way back and returned 46mpg. It usually averages 58mpg!!!

But then we don't get the Uber Cool cars that you have... :(