Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am 

I will be heading to Daytona for the 75th Daytona 200.. Haven't been there since they moved the Vintage races to Oct. Hoping the 75th celebration might be special??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:23 pm 

What format is the Daytona 200 these days, last I followed it, it was 600cc super-bikes...........bit like half a glass of beer, for supposedly the BIG race.........??!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:37 pm 

1000cc I believe that v twins get a bit more CCs. There is a lot of stuff included now adays with MotoAmerica taking over. Dont know the schedule yet for Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 am 

I just feel that since they eliminated bikes you had to mix gas AND oil to run, it really hasn't been anything but a used car dog and pony show with purple tutu parade. More than a few of we old racers have the mindset that any and everything the France family has done at Daytona since 1980, is just not good.

I cannot stand another France family invented "racing", either, 'NASBORING'. The car tech in it is very interesting, but nothing else in that mess is, to me.

Moto-America should end up evolving into a first rate sanctioning body, eventually. Can't happen soon enough for me. I'd sure like to see the series Dave Crussell and the teams just did in Australia be a BIG part of Moto-America, and Daytona. I'd LOVE to be a part of that racing.

To each, his own, though, if that is what you really enjoy, have at it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm 

WoooooW!

That is why Vintage is more fun but it still takes skill to RACE the modern monsters, that is what I watch. I get it we are all old and miss the good old BAD days. Crappy handling bikes with grenade engines! Boy I really miss that! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:56 pm 

It seems I was sorely mistaken, all those purpose built 2 stroke race bikes appear to not need any skills what so ever to race. I stand amazingly corrected.

Eddie Lawson said at Daytona one year (1992), directly to me, just after a "4 stroke race bike" had blown up, red flagging that particular testing session, "I just don't believe it, a 4 stroke race bike blew up, right on the racing line, and that same 4 stroke race bike deposited its entire load of synthetic engine oil onto the racing lines through two turns, I just can't believe it" (in regards to the 4 stroke racing community insisting those bikes NEVER blew up and oiled down the race track). It took 5 full hours to get the synthetic oil off the asphalt, effectively ending the rest of the day's testing sessions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 pm 

Well, whatever way you look at it, they are going Faster now, and they stay together longer............ :think:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 am 

So are the two stroke real race bikes, Rod.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:54 am 

I think the old two-strokes took much more skill to ride fast. No traction control, wheelie control...little control at all, just balls. Yeah, they go faster now, but with lots of electronic bells and whistles to help out.

Lane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:57 am 

True enough, Dave, I love the 2-strokes MORE than you, ( :lol: )....... now , if only I could get my weed-whacker started with this stale "fuel" in it!!! Edit: Fair points, Lane, I pretty much agree......... but the stop-watch doesn't lie!