Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:11 am 

Sticking to freeways is the opposite of what I'd do on a motorcycle tour of the US. My favorite roads are the next step up from gravel. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:51 am 

Speaking for Colorado there is just too much GREAT mountain riding to see in a single pass. Maybe going west do one route and coming back east (if that's a plan) to do another route.

For me knowing Colorado I would go West from Colorado Springs on US 50 over Monarch pass through Gunnison to Montrose.

Then South on US 550 (the million dollar highway) through Ouray, Teluride, Silverton and Durango. This is one of the most SPECTACULAR drive/rides in the country - words cannot explain how beautiful this is. Here's a tickler time-lapse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55O56wsdQ4o

However this puts you on a sourthern route west bound and going through Nevada and Calif deserts in the summer can be hot. Las Vegas is on the way though and hitting Southern Calif can be a meet with our guys here and any of the Calif coast highways north (where I'll be going eventually) is always good.

Just sayin.

We did a camping trip throughout Colorado a few years ago - awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:11 pm 

Jim wrote:
Sticking to freeways is the opposite of what I'd do on a motorcycle tour of the US. My favorite roads are the next step up from gravel. :)

+1 on that Jim. The group I ride with while on my Honda Nighthawk does just that, avoiding freeways whenever possible, unless absolutely unavoidable at certain points but usually just for 1 - 2 exits in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 am 

Jim wrote:

That's why my trip wasn't that enjoyable...Interstate 20/10 to LA, and Interstate 10/95 back. My short day was 11 hours, and I'm not Allen....

Lane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:35 am 

rngdng wrote:
That's why my trip wasn't that enjoyable...Interstate 20/10 to LA, and Interstate 10/95 back. My short day was 11 hours, and I'm not Allen....Lane

That's because you weren't riding a Harley :e11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:57 am 

BarryB wrote:
rngdng wrote:
That's why my trip wasn't that enjoyable...Interstate 20/10 to LA, and Interstate 10/95 back. My short day was 11 hours, and I'm not Allen....Lane

That's because you weren't riding a Harley :e11

It's difficult to fight off a Harley's natural tendency to pull over at every bar.....

Lane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:12 pm 

My cross country from Jacksonville beach Florida to San Diego beach California was 46 hours.. Only 1200 mile days, on my GT750.. Lunch in Detroit from Florida is a 17 hour ride.. Worst one yet was on a 1971 Honda CB450.. Florida to Lansing Michigan and back to Decatur Alabama non stop for 36 hours, to visit Frank Tarpley, covering 1740 miles.. I was numb from the vibration.. :roll: Barry the last time I was in Colorado Springs it only took 27 hours nonstop back to Florida.. I have a planned ride in July to ride up to Alberta Canada..

But I will ride for food Barry !!! Which I did when Barry offered me a big steak dinner to come visit.. He is a good chef... :)

Your set up you have on your Harley is bigger than my Wife's Mini Cooper.. :thumb up:

Allen.... Rides without adult supervision !!!

Last edited by H2okettle on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:19 pm 

R.B. wrote:
Well, 5 of us are supposed to be riding Coast to Coast on 5 simply stunning (I don't use that word lightly) 1973 Z1's this Year :shock: It's looking like Mid July - I'll keep you in the loop :thumbup:

I would be interested probably.. Just need more info, unless its a closed ride or 4 strokes only... How long is the ride gonna be, and is it interstate?

Allen....Rideaholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm 

H2okettle wrote:
But I will ride for food Barry !!! Which I did when Barry offered me a big steak dinner to come visit.. He is a good chef... :)

Yep that was a HUGE steak. I remember what you said about being full sooner than we think - I'm not eating such large meals (but I'm still fat).

At least we did not get hailed on this time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:15 pm 

BarryB wrote:
H2okettle wrote:

Yep that was a HUGE steak. I remember what you said about being full sooner than we think - I'm not eating such large meals (but I'm still fat).

At least we did not get hailed on this time!

Barry you just have the Harley physique... It part of the look if your gonna ride those bikes.. Your not "overweight", your "under tall".. :)

So then next time, you grill the same size steak and we can split it, 3 ways .. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next