Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 pm 

What's the old black/white bike with the panther on the tank?

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:49 am 

Great bikes and great weather...................very nice!

1974 Kawasaki H2 750
1986 Kawasaki KDX200

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:16 pm 

Thanks to all that came out. It was a risk for us moving this event north from a smaller venue down south for the past few years but it looked like it worked out. It got more crowded as the day went on and we sold out of shirts way too early as well as food.

The bike with the panther on it has a Sachs engine but that's all I know and we gave it the oldest 2 stroke award.

I'm hoping one of us has a video of the smoke out/parade lap that got way out of control. At one point I had to jump in front of a drag RD that was doing rolling burn outs as law enforcement rolled up in mass and I didn't want him to go to jail. lol

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:36 pm 

A big thank you for the pictures :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:26 pm 

I got off to a late start. I spent days considering riding my H1 to the event. I've never been on the Freeways with it and never on local rides lasting longer than 30 minutes. Breaking down was my biggest concern. I've never held it at freeway speeds for longer than 5 minutes, along the coast on PCH. I grew some balls, filled the tank and left the house. Figured if I wasn't comfortable on the first Freeway, I'd turn around and come home. It ran fine and I felt okay, so I continued on, keeping as much of a cushion around me as I could. I navigated the three freeways without any issues with any other vehicles. (Even got it to the triple digits in one open stretch :) ) Reached the exit I was searching for, pulled out the smartphone for a peek at the GPS and rode just a few more miles to the event.
As soon as I pulled in, a familiar face and friend Paul called my name. He was shocked I rode up from Huntington Beach. 56.4 miles, my longest to date.

The event was awesome. Tons to look at with bikes of all makes, models and mods. As I roamed the lot, which was huge I might add, another familiar face came up to me. I've already forgotten his first name, but I believe it's Apexxn from earlier posts. I see him often at our local monthly Vintage Bike Meet here in town. He was telling me they ran out of food and shirts, but my head was spinning from the ride and all the eye candy in front of me, I was in a fog as he was talking to me. We'll have a better conversation at this Sunday's monthly meet. :thumbup:

So here are the photos of my walk through. Not the best, from my iPhone, but there are two quick videos as well, also, not the best quality.
As he mentioned above, the drag bike was a moment away from some disturbance fine I'm sure. Nice save. I think the Rangers just rolled in because of the noise echoing through the Park. How could they not come investigate. They were mellow and no tickets were given to my knowledge. A great event and I look forward to next year to be better prepared with a camera and video for the 12 Noon Smoke Out. The only sensation lacking would be the multiple aromas of oil choices. The Smoke Out did not disappoint.

One last side story. As I was leaving the event, lot almost empty, I peeked in my gas tank and thought, Wow, I burned some fuel getting here. I figured I'd get out of Dodge and grab fuel in an area I was more familiar with closer to home. I did the petcock reach down a few times before getting on the Freeway just in case. The ride home was much more enjoyable with my new found confidence in myself and my H1.
At the 99 mile mark, it sputtered, so I slid over to reserve and made it back to the house. It saved me from sitting on the side of the Freeway. When I parked in my driveway I had ridden 112.8, exactly double to the tenths.

I had completed not only my first long ride, but my first Freeway experience and finally a ride than ran my tank to reserve. It was a good day.
(The two small photo images are the videos, click to view)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am 

Looks like a great event. Thanks for the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:41 am 

That looks sooooo fun...I dig that funky Rokon too! I might just have to make it down there one of these years - hell, make a vacation out of it and hit Disneyland or Universal Studios or attend a game show while I'm down there!

Thanks all for the great pictures! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:10 pm 

Hi

Just incredible :shock:

Thank you very much for this pictures.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:57 pm 

Hey Fastmike great story about the perils of riding vintage bikes long distances.

No that wasn't me you spoke to but I did hear from Paul after about a guy who rode up from HB on his triple, so it was cool to read your story.

Three guys put this show together on a wing and a prayer, so to see the turn out and the smiles on faces was a huge relief.

See you all next year.