Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm 

For the first time in 2 years, I'm actually working on a bike!!!!

A bit of history. I sold this bike to a fellow triple enthuisiast (bone stock H2b) back in 2004. His plan was to build a CR90 tribute bike.
Cylinders were sent to Darren Abrams at Lauren's Racing and received Denco 120HP Porting. Crank rebuilt and then that was it.....Frame was painted and some parts were rechromed.. Then the whole thing sat for 10 years due to a busy work schedule.

Coincidentally, during this time, I was assembling "correct" pieces to do a CR90 replica as well. Correct DID wheels, Correct denco clubman bars. 34mm carbs, Even had a white H2b bodyset sprayed and ready to go. The only thing I was missing was the frame and engine.. :lol:

Fast forward to last winter and one thing leads to another and I buy my old bike back. :thumbup: :thumbup:

So, last winter right after I got it home, I stripped the engine down just to "make sure" everything was good (it wasn't !! :shock: I made a post about it at the time ), fixed what needed fixing and that was that.

I've finally got a bit of winter free time to put this thing together and a couple of days ago I DUG IN. So this is where she sits right now. The front end being completed. I forgot how many parts I had already prepped, and it's been fun just bolting on parts instead of spending hours at the polishing wheel and/or sending stuff out/rebuilding things.

Basically, my goal is to replicate the bike on the front cover of April 1975 BIG BIKE magazine as closely as possible....

and here's a pic of Tony on one of a handful that were ever built....

and when I say "handful", I mean, that there are probably only 2 or 3 of these bikes left in existence. Jim Hinshaws being the only "known" complete example left. Although Tony told me that he believed there may be one in the midwest somewhere. (Ohio or Indiana?)

Here's a photo of Jim's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 pm 

Whoah!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:00 pm 

It looks like the bike Tony is riding and the one on the magazine cover,,, have steel rims not aluminum rims ??? not that it makes any difference to me just wondering ...
Your bike looks fantastic...

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:07 pm 

Good to see you are back working on a bike Cody :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:14 pm 

JohnnyO wrote:
It looks like the bike Tony is riding and the one on the magazine cover,,, have steel rims not aluminum rims ??? not that it makes any difference to me just wondering ...
Your bike looks fantastic...

good eye!! both the cover bike and Tony's bike have steel rims.. I actually think there is a good chance that the magazine bike and Tony's bike are one and the same.

Jim's has aluminum DID's although his bike has an 18" front as opposed to my 19". Every photo of a "real" CR90 has had something different bike to bike. There is no rhyme or reason to them. Even the "90HP" designation was ambiguous at best. Jim's bike is basically has a simple clean-up/blue print type port job (similar to the 100HP), but you could opt for a higher HP port spec and still retain the "sleeper" CR90 badging.

Also, look at the difference in width of the white outline on the fuel tank (surrounding the green) of the magazine bike/ Tony's bike and Jim's bike. Jim's bike has a much tighter band.

There is another goofy detail that I'll point out later. ONLY found on the CR90. And it's not the lack of a grabrail either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:35 pm 

Looks great and might it be the chrome strips on the seat missing or the funky strap going across the seat. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:01 am 

The seat has obviously had the foam cut down - Tony was certainly short in the leg department, but curiously, Tonys bike has a seat strap . . . . That would be a wild ride for the passenger :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:15 am 

The bike on the magazine cover has no reflector on the rear shock??? And they both have a small red rectangular one ????

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm 

Passenger on a triple :o I couldn't do it even more so on a faster one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:17 am 

Quote:
There is another goofy detail that I'll point out later. ONLY found on the CR90. And it's not the lack of a grabrail either.

? Side covers, oil tank or frame clearance for carbs- air filter?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next