Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm 

not much progress as of late.. Been waiting on some misc. parts to show up. Did manage to finish the seat (installed the trims)

Hard to tell, but I cut (turkey carving knife, grinder with flap wheel) about 1" of height out of the foam to give it a bit more sporty look. And as mentioned above, I would never have been able to install this cover without cutting the foam down. As it is, the cover just makes it around the bottom pan edge and onto the spikes.

Latest photo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm 

Looking good Cody!! Sorry for the bum steer on the Pit Replica cover...the one for my KH250 had loads of extra material, and the vinyl quality was superb.. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm 

Zambia wrote:
Looking good Cody!! Sorry for the bum steer on the Pit Replica cover...the one for my KH250 had loads of extra material, and the vinyl quality was superb.. :oops:

not a bum steer at all Ian.. I'm actually pleased with the cover in the end. The fact that it worked out this way was a happy accident. I can be a bit picky when it comes to how seat covers fit/install as I feel it can either make or break the look of a bike. Maybe I've had crappy luck, but less than 1/2 of the seat covers I've bought (many different sources) have fit nicely right off the bat. I've even got an NOS early H1 seat cover here in it's original bag that doesn't even fit right.... :lol:

All of that said, there is no way this cover would have fit/worked over a stock foam or a reproduction foam..... but on a cut down foam, it worked! The hemmed edge ended up exactly where it needed to and looks "factory-ish". Meaning, fine.. :lol:
(we all know that factory covers are pretty crappily installed anyways)

I do agree that the vinyl is excellent and the grain is as close to original as any cover I have used. The only thing I do not like and needs to be improved on (at least on the H2b cover) is the single-row stitching that makes the seam at the rear. It should be heat welded or at least double stitched for strength. I've ruined covers in the past because of this (threads tear right through the vinyl rendering the cover JUNK while stretching to fit) so was mindful of being VERY careful when getting it stretched out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:41 am 

Awesome work Cody! Nice to see you back working on bikes again. I hope to see this beast in person some day!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:05 am 

Cody.....that seat looks really good, would kind of like to do that to my H2B........I have a really nice seat and cover (somebody re-did it correctly)........and I painted and decaled the seat pan.......my first H2B had an inch of foam removed........makes for a good look :) ......where did you get your seat cover :?:

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:36 pm 

If you want the best seat ever use this man,Tony O'Connor
Eldorado
1 Allen Avenue
Mt Barker
South Australia 5251
Ph 0400 707 767 (International +61 400 707 767)
Email motorcycleseats@bigpond.com.au
If you google some of his work you will not fail to be impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:41 am 

Just got done doing a search for some info and spent a bunch of time reading (rereading) your Hybrid posts and have been watching this.
Really amazing work, I love the looks of the CR90 very classic!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:50 am 

What are you going to do about the original Denco air filters ? K&N still makes them but there longer .....you have to special order them 3/4 of an inch shorter at an extra cost I have the number ......I ordered a set before I realized they were to long !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:48 am 

do you mean you still do a special order to have Denco KN which suppose cut the side cover :?:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 am 

If he wants a true CR90......he can get the same K&N air filters that Denco made ....they sell them 4inchs long ....you have to special order them 3 1/4 inches long ...but it's extra to charge to have them made shorter .....I'm ordering 2sets I have the part number if anyone is interested .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next