Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rear Hub Modification
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 pm 

I am sure I am not the first person to do this, but I don't think this board has seen it yet and can't remember anyone recently on the old board doing it. Just something a little different.

Before pics.

After pics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

You save a ton of weight be going to a S series hub........ :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:45 pm 

Looking good, Suzuki cross-drilled the T500 front drum [thru the spoke holes] in a similar fashion, way back when. I am using a H2 rear drum with lots of radially drilled holes [3/16"], that we did back in the day. Don't know if it does anything, but it looks good! But then again a lot of people don't even use their rear brake...............

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm 

Nice idea, Oxford

Too bad I didn't include this in my rear hub and would have saved a little more weight.
This what I've done:

In my case I also used a hollow shaft with a larger I.D bearing to help saving wt. and provide better strenght, but a different swingarm was used.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:58 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You save a ton of weight be going to a S series hub........ :thumbup:

As I recall when I weighed the two hubs the S hub was close to 3.5lbs lighter than an H1 hub. The spoke flanges are 10mm narrower closer together than the H1 and the S does not have the big cast in steel sleeve (like the H1 has) where the bearings mount. A bit of machining spacers/sprocket shims will be req'd to convert.

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 pm 

Thanks Carlos, a good comment from you with the quality of your build is great.

LC, with the swing arm that is in the works custom spacers for the s hub is nothing. A dedicated build thread is on the way.

And honestly, I did this for looks with some weight savings being a good by-product. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:30 am 

Is there much weight savings with an aluminum rim with the stock H2 hub?
Am assuming that the S series hub would require longer spokes, spacers, brake control fabrication, etc.
Wonder if there isn't a used, light-weight wheel / brake assembly that makes the most financial sense if less weight is the goal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Jim C wrote:
Am assuming that the S series hub would require longer spokes, spacers, brake control fabrication, etc.
Wonder if there isn't a used, light-weight wheel / brake assembly that makes the most financial sense if less weight is the goal.

Probably a lb. or so with a AL rim. The H2 has a huge rear brake, that is very heavy.

I'm sure there are lighter rear wheel set up ut there. I will probably use a 250 dirt bike rear rim on my 250 triple racer.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:33 am 

Jim C wrote:

Although not really "light weight" but probably the most economical, I am pretty sure that a h1 rear wheel will go on the h2 with little work and you will get some weight savings. Yes going to the S hub is just what you said, spokes spacers and the s hub is cable operated which is another reason I wanted to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Admin

oxford wrote:
Jim C wrote:

Although not really "light weight" but probably the most economical, I am pretty sure that a h1 rear wheel will go on the h2 with little work and you will get some weight savings. Yes going to the S hub is just what you said, spokes spacers and the s hub is cable operated which is another reason I wanted to use it.

To adapt the 500 rear wheel, just takes a couple of easy to make axle adaptors for the smaller diameter axle.