Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Rear shocks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:47 am 

Ikon isn't the same quality than real Koni :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:31 am 

Looks like Hagons for me, I can have a set built in the U.S. and delivered here for a bit more than 1/2 the price I can get a set from here!!! Same goes for Ikons! I guess the people here just don't want to sell shocks! [I have a good set of S&W air shocks, but they are 35 years old :lol: ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:31 am 

Do the Sudco repros work any better than stock?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:45 pm 

Nothing can be much worse than the stock shocks. I was lucky enough to buy a set of Koni's on closeout years ago for my H2, they work awesome. If I had to buy a set today and wanted good handling, I would buy a pair of Works Performance shocks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:53 pm 

Rod, I got 14.2" Hagons for my H2 this spring and the length seems really good for my setup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:57 pm 

Ive got a pair of Redwing Hammerheads on the H2. 14" eye to eye. I like them. A bit on the "soft" side considering the weight of the bike, but not undersprung. Amazingly, they still work well (no leaks) after 3 years on the bike...not to mention, how many years they sat in a box before I bought them?

The H1, I splurged and had a set of Works Performance shocks built for it. Its quite obvious when you bolt a set of "high quality" shocks to a motorcycle. They are just SUPERB and head and shoulders above the Redwings on the H2.

Hagons are a GREAT budget-minded shock. Ive bought a couple of sets and have been more than happy with them. Especially for the price (under $250.00 shipped).

As for "vintage" shocks, Ive always liked the dual-rate S&W "stroker" shocks (if they weren't leaking).

No experience with IKON's, but have had a few sets of clapped-out Koni's...

as was stated, ANYTHING is better than stock.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 pm 

Agree anything better than stock and I'm happy with the Hagons for what they are. Getting them a tad longer helped handling too - thanks for that tip John.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 am 

Jim wrote:
Rod, I got 14.2" Hagons for my H2 this spring and the length seems really good for my setup.

Thanks, Jim, I think a call to Mr Quinn is in order. I'm about 170 lbs ready to ride, you think the 90 lb springs are the go?? Actually, I wish they still made the old black and yellow S&W's, they did the job, back in the day!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:50 am 

Rod, Here's what happened:

1. The guys on the board said Dave Quinn tends to spring them a bit on the heavy side, tell him you're lighter than you are.

2. I told him my fully dressed weight is 175 (actually about 195)

3. Dave suggested 100 lb/in springs, but called later that day to day he was out of them, did I want to try 90 or 110?

4. I chose 90.

5. The 90s give me about 19.5% static compression (shooting for 20%-40%)

6. I stuck with the 90s because they feel good, and don't bottom out when I have a passenger and hit a bump.

If your weight is 170, I'd say you need the 78 lb/in springs. As far as the soft or medium bodies, Dave will have to advise. I *think* I have medium bodies. If Dave advises heavier springs, you're welcome to tell him my story. You do get two free spring exchanges, but shipping would obviously make that a bit of a drag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Thanks, Jim, I think a call to Mr Quinn is in order. I'm about 170 lbs ready to ride, you think the 90 lb springs are the go?? Actually, I wish they still made the old black and yellow S&W's, they did the job, back in the day!

wow 170lbs fully dressed, i guess its back to weight watchers for me :thumbdown: :D

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600