Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:03 pm 

Many moons ago, I bought a Tony Foale QR1 - a Hub Centre Steered (conceptually) Yamaha 350LC race bike - this is what I got;

I then made the mistake of selling it. Fool.
However, about 9 years later I found it and bought it back!!!
It looks like it was stored at the bottom of a lake mind!. Not wanting to rebuild it with an LC motor, I bought myself an H1 motor with Lectron Powerjet 36mm carbs, and a set of Denco pipes.

I then welded up a frame/jig to hold things where they should be while I chopped it about to take the H1 lump;

Here are a few pix of the butchery to fit the motor;

Yes, I know the welding is totally crap, but all I have done is tack things in place, and I will get everything welded properly by a Man Who Can!!!

However, due to my big BIG crash in Tennessee, I won't be working on this anytime soon. Dammit...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:20 am 

Wow.
Tough crowd.
Fifty views, and not a single comment!

So, this either means you all hate me for hacking this up (although I'm SURE someone would have said so, people aren't afraid to express their opinions from behind a keyboard usually!!!), or it's of no interest to anyone!!!

;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:27 am 

No, only a serious question...WHY? There are so many other better front end configurations, single sided plunger, up-side-down, from other bikes. Not saying you shouldn't do it, and if you like that way, as it seems, go for it, but, there are better, easier ways.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:28 am 

Make that over 51 views dude.
All looks like spaghetti to me.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Im guessing you chose that frame as it was supposedly a great handling bike at one time?
As many have discovered, once that triple juice gets in there, things may change a lot in that respect.

Interesting to say the least.
Keep the pics coming and best of luck with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:51 am 

Kudos on your efforts and work thus far. I would like to see this eventually in it's finished state - if you like it, build it. Please keep the updates coming, as your health allows. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
No, only a serious question...WHY? There are so many other better front end configurations, single sided plunger, up-side-down, from other bikes. Not saying you shouldn't do it, and if you like that way, as it seems, go for it, but, there are better, easier ways.

Better question is "Why not?" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:30 pm 

kawi3cyl wrote:
Kudos on your efforts and work thus far. I would like to see this eventually in it's finished state - if you like it, build it. Please keep the updates coming, as your health allows. :thumbup:

+1 and well said
I respect the effort but it would not be my project of choice
Would like to see to finished and hope you mend quickly :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:04 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:

don't know how this Tony Foale frame works but have tried a Bimota Tesi 3D fantastic bike to ride, still thinking buy one :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:

Telescopic forks, in whatever guise, are most certainly NOT better.
This Dual Link design separates the braking and suspension forces that compromise telescopics - and perform better in everything except full on GP racing.
I'm no GP racer!!!

And as for easier, if I wanted easier I wouldn't be resurrecting an aged 2 Stroke engine that will need constant attention to keep it running right!!!

The key thing here is 'different' - I just love things that are outside the norm, and that NOBODY can buy from a shop!

Thanks for the 'get well' wishes - I wish the damn leg and knee would hurry the feck up recovering!!!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:59 pm 

I think it will be unique as heck, that makes it awesome in my books! :thumbup:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/