Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:58 pm 

Here we go guys:
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati ... -does.html

The article confirms my understanding of steering geometry on a motorcycle. I am not as concerned about the loss of rake as the trail has been mostly maintained (I didn't change the angle between the steering head and the fork tubes). Some was lost because the fork tubes/steering head are closer to being symmetrical about a vertical plane (the smallest achievable distance between two points on two lines at an angle to each other is achieved in this condition). Will the mods change the handling characteristics? yes, certainly hope so. If they are too much then I'll change some more stuff. That's the fun part!

My tank is probably going to leak, in fact I know that it will. but I am putting a coating kit in it, which has been the plan. I figured I would rather gain the skills and have the fun of stick welding stupid-thin metal than pay someone to do it. After all, I want to build the bike, not say I paid someone to do it for me. Besides, it's not as bad as fixing old ski-doo gas tanks by melting plastic milk jugs to them at 2 a.m. with a propane torch in a snowstorm. We did drain the gas first but still....

Anybody have any thoughts on headlights? I'm thinking of a number-plate style with recessed lights

Also, if anyone has a good lead on cheap bulk seat foam I'm in the marker. Than pan is hard!

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 pm 

Got the bike put back together last night. Still have to hook up the fuel lines but I couldn't help myself. Here's what it looks like right now

Attachment:
IMG_20141028_215050_117.jpg

I've got to do some work on the center pipe to make sure it clears the wheel but I wanted to test-ride before tearing into it to make sure the revised steering geometry is going to work

Attachment:
IMG_20141028_215127_972.jpg

I've got a few other pics that I will try to throw on when I get home

Jason

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm 

scouse wrote:
I know that in the UK your insurance company looks at every possible scenario before paying out, the Mods might void his insurance?

Gary T

You're right that it could happen if Jason registered and insured it as a Katana and didn't tell anyone it's a custom made bike. I assume he's planning to title and register it as a custom or home-built motorcycle, and get appropriate insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 pm 

You bring up a good point Jim. I have never tried to register something like this before. I do have a title for the Katana frame. Bill of sale for the engine is long lost (it's been 15 years already!). Does anyone have any experience doing this? Am I in for a horrible headache?

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:32 pm 

How you do it is going to be determined by the state you want to title and register it in. I'd check with the motor vehicle guys and see what they require.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:48 pm 

Watch what you say to people at the license place, less is usually better........I went thru Vermont on my little bike (must be under 300cc)......then I got it state inspected and got the form ( A girl came out and only checked the VIN on the frame in Ohio, they did not even look at the motor)......then with all the paperwork, I went and applied for a title and got it.

THX Phil :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:50 pm 

well, the weather was decent here in N.E. Iowa today so I buttoned up the bike, threw on the track-day leathers and took it out. Rides great! I took a few passes on the frontage road, increasing speed each time. Once I started hitting 40 mph I decided I better move to the highway. I got it wound up to 70 with no stability problems so I am happy with my front-end modifications. I did notice that I need some seat foam though, that sheet metal is slippery on the leathers!

I think my wife took a couple of pics, I'll try to post them.

Next step: I have to modify my exhaust mounting, then I need to mount a headlight. After that, I think it is time for a tear-down so I can start prepping for paint!

Jason

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm 

OMG !!!!!!!!.......................

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 am 

Is it me, or does the front wheel need to move forward?
That thing has to steer ultra quick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:33 am 

RODH2 wrote:
That thing is going to steer quick!! :shock:
:eh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next