Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: It's a start.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
A few years ago, the cost for just the bare upper and lower cases were around 5 grand. So go from there......

That's actually a great price for what you get but keep in mind the point of that exercise was to make something in the end that still looked like a H2 motor.
If you are throwing a 2 stroke in a modern frame, who cares what it looks like! Better to have a modern sled motor with case reeds, power valves even direct injection if that suits you... that will make more hp than anyone can handle out of the box, then just focus on marrying it to a gearbox.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Just let me know before you are ready, I am usually backed up with work....... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 pm 

Walms wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
A few years ago, the cost for just the bare upper and lower cases were around 5 grand. So go from there......

That's actually a great price for what you get but keep in mind the point of that exercise was to make something in the end that still looked like a H2 motor.
If you are throwing a 2 stroke in a modern frame, who cares what it looks like! Better to have a modern sled motor with case reeds, power valves even direct injection if that suits you... that will make more hp than anyone can handle out of the box, then just focus on marrying it to a gearbox.

Funny you should mention that. I think I have built that bike in my mind at least a thousand times. I have "mind built" a kajillion different bottom and top end mix and match engines but it all comes down to what you can afford and what you are capable of. I have neither the money nor the facilities to fabricate a ton of one off stuff. Even with the price of an H2 motor these days, it seems the most cost effective way to do what I want to do.

And I do care what it looks like. The motor will be a key piece of this bike, not covered by plastic. Some things I want to do will be done for aesthetics alone. Sort of like pipes on a bike, we use them not just for the performance gain but for an improvement in the sound it makes.

Bikes move us, not just along a road, they move us to our very souls. Think of being at the racetrack when you come upon a TZ 750 warming up in the pits. The smell, the sight, AND the sounds stir up powerful emotions for me as I assume they do for you too. Big, scary fast, loud two stroke bikes burning Castrol R affect all of our senses and I intend to leave none of them untouched. I want this bike to be loud, smelly and beautiful all at the same time. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:29 pm 

Walms, YUP, a snowmobile engine, great idea, or, an outboard of some sort.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 pm 

Here we go. So how do you put a chain case on a Bike and how would you clutch it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrldkXg7-Jo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the video. That's badass. And of course it's fast! It's a Triple :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:05 am 

Stripped and polished back to its former glory...almost.

The wheels don't match but I have a nice set of kawi green wheels I snagged off ebay yet to go on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 am 

A H2 engine will slot in there nice, you will need a couple of down tubes, tho!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am 

Leon wrote:

Yes, that's Blokhead, a member here. He's using the sled transmission, maybe not ideal for cornering clearance. Here's a still shot: