Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 pm 

Picked this up yesterday for 300 bucks with title. I just need a motor now....and some other stuff.

Stripped and polished back to its former glory...almost.

The wheels don't match but I have a nice set of kawi green wheels I snagged off ebay yet to go on.

Engine parts are arriving!

Ebay bottom end. This was on buy it now at 1200, then, 1000, then 800. When it didn't sell that time, I emailed the guy and offered 400 bucks. He took 500 shipped and it came with two oil pumps.

She's a bit gnarly, but it can be saved. I wanted an engine that needed a little love and I got one. A little rust here and there but everything moves, the cases can be rubber mounted and I think it has a 6 spline clutch release. I already have a NOS pinion gear, I think I may need a clutch basket.
I have some covers coming from a board member, clutch, pump and sprocket.

Got a set of these from a board member here too. Early cylinders on first over. This left jug is the only one I checked and it mic'ed to 2.818. I'll have to do a closer inspection and mic the rest to get a better idea where I am.

Some progress. I got everything apart, cleaned and beadblasted. I've CC'd the heads, mapped the ports and measured squish clearances.

The clutch was in much better shape than it looked. What appeared to be rust was just mung and most of it washed right off! The primary gear was not rusted and the basket fingers had very little wear. Bonus! The pinion gear has a couple rusty teeth but I got a good one off ebay.

I'm at the point now where I have to start sending stuff out. I need to find a sturdy box for the crank to get that rebuilt.I have the box the barrels came in and was packed well so I can re-use that for the top end. That needs to go out for decking and boring. The trans needs to go out for undercutting too.

The bits:

Some port work. Got the in and out ports cleaned up, still working on the transfers. Found an angled pencil grinder on amazon for 160, just waiting on some bits for it.

Last edited by captainpooby on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: It's a start.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm 

ZXR750 - '93ish ??? :think: (do something about that avatar, eh!) :|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:20 pm 

Good eye, it is a 93.

The avatar freak you out? It's a screen cap from a "fail" video. The chick is passed out on a couch and someone puts a vacuum cleaner up to her lips and this is the moment she wakes up. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 pm 

GOOD start for a reversed cylinders, liquid cooled top end, pipes out the tail section H2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
GOOD start for a reversed cylinders, liquid cooled top end, pipes out the tail section H2.

Absolutely Dave, and while we're setting the bar high use the billet bottom end w/ ZX10 6 speed and clutch! :o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 am 

H2RTuner wrote:

I was planning on using a Milliard six, but since it's a budget build, I'm going to keep it five cylinders. :lol:

On a serious note, I sent those billet guys an email but never heard back from them. Do they still make that? I know the price is going to be galactic but anybody know what they charge for that thing. I have feeling it's not going to fit in my budget.

I have been shopping ebay for ZX10 wheels and suspension, I might try to drop a few pounds that way. There's a complete swingarm, wheel and everything to bolt in, for 300 right now. the wheels on this bike are color mis matched and going to need paint or powder anyway. I figure I might as well look at putting that money into newer lighter already color matched stuff. I can sell off my stuff for cheap later.

I like the ZX10 swingarm because it's built to route the pipe up the right side. Perfect for routing the stingers up and around and have the cans up high.

The hard part is proving to be finding the H2 motor. I should have finished this project in 95 when I started it. Anybody got one?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 am 

the two billet engine guys work and do this as a hobby, they are engine engineer. Add the fact it's holidays time actually and this explains why you have no answer. If it's an emergency can try to give them a call but I don't think you're in hurry. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 am 

Now, if you have ever ridden either the Benelli Sei, Kawasaki KZ1300, or CBX, inline 6's are W I D E.

So is a H series derived inline 6, or 5, or, even a 4.

If I were to go with more than a triple, it'd be one that had a LOT of specialty work, billit cases, special cylinders and heads, dry clutch, and at least 7 speeds with ignition interrupt shifting, along with other things like liquid cooling, case reeds, EFI, and, it'd have to be a...wait for it...V - S I X, or, even more medium spectacular, a two stroke V - EIGHT.

But, then, I like to fit TZ700/750's to legally ride on the street, might be too intense for some riders.

A person is only as limited as his ingenuity, and, fabrication skills allow.

What is a motorcycle for, if you can't have total fun riding it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 am 
Site Admin

A few years ago, the cost for just the bare upper and lower cases were around 5 grand. So go from there......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
A few years ago, the cost for just the bare upper and lower cases were around 5 grand. So go from there......

Son of b*xch! Yep, they're a bit rich for my project.

Glad you piped in Mr Moo. When I get my engine, you'll be doing some work for me. 8-)