Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:10 am 

If you call and order for the H1 or H2 they will send you the correct set.....I don't know the part# off the top of my head. The kit comes with everything you need. Basically its a kit for 36mm KYB forks.....not just the H1/H2. The included directions/pics are now better than they used to be. If you have access to a lathe modding the rod cap/piston is much easier and quicker. I've installed a couple sets......next set I do I will take some good pics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm 

I just installed an EX500 caliper and new pads on my 1973 H2. Kept the Std 9/16 M/C. All I can say is WOW!

Now phase 2 is to address the forks. I am assuming I have the aluminum damper rods so the race tech emulators will not be the way to go. My thought was to go with John's mod and a good set of springs. If this sounds reasonable, What springs would ya'll recommend? I am 180lbs and the bike is stripped down pretty good but I don't have an exact weight.

What is prompting the fork mods are the tell tale dents in the fender where the forks have bottomed out. That was with a stock caliper and I can only imagine what the dive will be like with the new caliper.
The bike is about 3 months new to me and I don't have enough recent riding experience to form an opinion on handling.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Trilogymac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 pm 

i myself would like to install the racetech emulators one day.

...but what are you guys doing for rear suspension? how do you get the back to cooperate with the front?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm 

Paul, get yourself some decent shocks for the rear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

paulkdx220 wrote:
i myself would like to install the racetech emulators one day.

...but what are you guys doing for rear suspension? how do you get the back to cooperate with the front?

The Icons, or Hagon's are both good, and priced pretty reasonable. The main thing to improve the handling is to get at least 1" or longer length.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:43 pm 

hows about these 8-)

http://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/ceriani.htm

they also do cartridges for RWU forks

http://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/ click GP20 cartridges link

Gary T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm 

I read this thread and most of the links attached to it. Very helpful info but have questions on my own personal front suspension upgrade goal. Which BTW is to improve the old, tired, soft & easy diving front end. I just want an improvement over new OEM stock. NOT interested in attempting to do canyon-caving or anything close with this bike.

Rider: 6'0 - 260lbs (not jockey size!)
H2B: approx 425lbs

Improvements so far:
Overall: New swingarm bushings, steeringhead bearings, lighter weight chambers & Brigestone BT45 tires.
Front: New fork seals & Bel-Ray 15W frork oil. Stock otherwise.
Rear: New MidAtlantic "Stock" replacement-look shocks. Figured better than tired 40 year old equipment AND wanted to retain the stock classic look and fresh clean finish.

So with all that listed above, what would your opinions be for my front end upgrade options?
1. Leave tired springs in and increase the pre-load spacer?
2. New springs only? WP? or Race Tech?
3. with or w/o #2 & Race Tech Emulators? Price is within my budget.
4. #2 &/or #3 plus welding/re-sizing of stock internals? I haven't checked yet but reading the thread my H2B should have the steel internals?
5. Other options?

As usual thanks in advance for your thoughts.

1974 Kawasaki H2 750
1986 Kawasaki KDX200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

If you are sticking with a 19" front wheel, and stock length shocks, then i would say just get heavier springs. Performance shocks will do you up some. You HAVE to only talk to Pierre in tech, he does it special. he needs your total riding weight and bike weight. And you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Call Works Shocks and ONLY talk to Pierre in tech. He will need your weight with gear and the bike weight, and he will set you up with springs and spacers.

Thanks. Pierre is taking care of me. Good guy. I wish I knew half of what he seems to know about suspensions. :shock:

1974 Kawasaki H2 750
1986 Kawasaki KDX200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

He is the go-to guy....... :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next