Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:08 pm 

H1Pete wrote:
R.B. wrote:
oxford wrote:
If you want to get serious and drop some weight off of your rotor you can do this.

How nice is that! :clap:

Oh...I see it now. Very, very cool :clap: :clap:

Yes, looks great. Can we get details from you, oxford? What rotor is that? What caliper and brackets/hangers are used? Master cylinder needed? Other modifications needed to make it all fit and work? TIA!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:22 pm 

DM47 wrote:
Yes, looks great. Can we get details from you, oxford? What rotor is that? What caliper and brackets/hangers are used? Master cylinder needed? Other modifications needed to make it all fit and work? TIA!

Here are the details about the rotor, viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6302 The caliper will be equally as cool as the rotor, I have it and most of the details worked out with the adapter but moved on to a different project before I got it finished. I should be back on it shortly though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 am 

hey don,
nice looking disks. are those originals that were milled down?
i've been looking all over this site for old posts about changing my front brakes. i wanted to do it years ago but could never come up with extra money.
would you mind telling me what kind of calipers you have in your picture and what master cylinder your using. i knew where to find this stuff years ago on the old kaw website but i'm still getting the feel for this website now that i've found it.
or do you make and sell a set up like yours?
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:49 am 

Mikeof, those are ex500 calipers on Dons bike. There is a board member that sells the adapters to make them work. They are also not all that bad to make yourself. http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/caliper/conversions.htm I am not really sure what guys are running for master cylinders, but there are quite a few using those calipers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:24 am 

wow thanks, that is some great info. i appreciate your time. i'm looking a few calipers now.
and i also saw a ninja ex 500 rear brake caliper and master cylinder that i could eventually put on the rear. i believe thats what others on this site have used. and did i see a project that you had going where you changed the rear break system to the ex 500 also?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:58 pm 

mikeof wrote:
. and did i see a project that you had going where you changed the rear break system to the ex 500 also?

If this question was for me, no, I am using a S series rear drum on my bike.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm 

H1Pete wrote:
R.B. wrote:
oxford wrote:
If you want to get serious and drop some weight off of your rotor you can do this.

How nice is that! :clap:

Oh...I see it now. Very, very cool :clap: :clap:

Very nice, its similar to the gsxr disc conversion I had done.
Fitting the disc was no problem, the problem I had was not having enough room between the disc and spokes to fit the calipher :( what a pain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 pm 

oxford wrote:
If this question was for me, no, I am using a S series rear drum on my bike.

i've been looking at so many bike pics i get them mixed up. and i'm starting to forget things, i lucky to find my way home anymore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 pm 

magee wrote:
Fitting the disc was no problem, the problem I had was not having enough room between the disc and spokes to fit the calipher :( what a pain

Your not kidding, it is pretty tight with the Brembo caliper as well. I am pretty sure that I will need to mill a little bit off of the backside of the caliper to get the clearance needed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 pm 

oxford wrote:
magee wrote:

Your not kidding, it is pretty tight with the Brembo caliper as well. I am pretty sure that I will need to mill a little bit off of the backside of the caliper to get the clearance needed.

I thinned the disc on the spoke side only, I also milled a 1/16 of the inside if the fork leg and spaced the disc out as far as I could
Still ended up shaving the gsxr csliphers