Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: fork emulators
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:01 am 

Leo wrote:
Gerrit and me, we are Dutch so we prefer to take the low cost route: upgrade available standard parts as described.
By adding another piece of (modern) technology (gold valve) the function of the restrictive holes in the stock damper unit should be made ineffective, thus enlarged.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Now clarify why being dutch makes the low cost route preferable :thumbup:

Being able to accomplish a similar goal by utilizing whats available while keeping the more economical or less expensive route is the mark of a true engineer in my eyes!! thats a gift fellas i wish i had. Tell me if found one of those fine dutch women and married her would i absorb some of that frugal engineering ability? Most likely she would become americanized in weeks, sustain a debilitating middle finger injury from chronic overuse, go on the tax payer dime and collect disability and blow up like Fergie :lol: Love the land you are from!! Merry Christmas and thanks for the help.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm 

Dorick

I had Brad (his suspension tech actually) at HVCcycle.com in Nebraska do mine, they get your weight, back shock length, tire size, etc. what kind of riding, etc............the labor for the gold valves is not much.....like $125 or so...........I went the full route and got new fork tubes made at Franks Forks in Illinois pricey $390.........racetech springs ........gold valves........PVC spacers made and setup and assembled with 15w oil on their test bench, ready to install about $1100 with shipping. Cost a bit, have not ridden the bike yet, but on the ground they feel soooo much better than stock ones, I think the are going to be awesome.

I searched and searched, was hard to get a clear answer so I sent them off rather than butcher them up, maybe you could just send for the holes to be modded and the tops machined

THX Phil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 pm 

wow. Looks great. Ur bike looks like it sits perfectly. balanced very well, even without tank, seat etc…

Keep me informed how it works out please. Can ya share your rim and tire sizes please BBP, thanks again.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 pm 

Rick

I have all the rim and tire info here on another topic.........do a search for "Rims" or "Excel Rims" and "BT45V" tires and you will find it (let me know if you don't), has a lot of Info, part numbers, price, etc.......real close fit, may have to do some mods, but look really good on the bike I think.

I got it out and running Saturday, did 25 miles so far.......The Gold Valves, Racetech Springs and Preload Spacers are phenomenal.......It rides totally different.........couldn't be more happy with it !!!........Not too stiff, just right

Did you get yours installed (gold valves ?) on your Purple Bike ?

THX Phil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 am 

Phil, still haven't put my 750 on the lift. My CR500 was on the lift pretty much all winter a water pump seal turned into fixing everything that was poorly done and work has been really busy. The 500 is done finally, just have to put plastics back on. I want to make sure the job on the forks is lined up just right so its just a one day job.....cause we all know how that goes. the only question i have left to refresh is the size of the PVC used to make the spacers...

you can see my 72 frame in the back ground that will go on the lift after the emulators are done on my 75 to start getting the frame mocked up for the engine we rebuilt!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16 pm 

Rick

Looks like a wicked CR500....big bad two stroke there.....and a 72.......you must be starting a collection

As far as the preload spacer's made out of PVC........HVC cycle put them on top of the new Racetech springs (I like them a lot and recomend), the notes said that for my weight (Fat or Big 240 lbs), they set them to 23mm of preload, as I understand that means 23mm sticking out of the fork with the bike on the ground weighted (I beleive)........and then the 23mm is compressed when putting the fork caps on........also they used 175cc of 15W oil in each fork leg........I know that with the gold valves which they also set, it's perfect.

THX Phil