Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:17 pm 

Ill give it a try, maybe my biggest problem is Im trying to hard to be perfect :think:
What is the worst that can happen….. they make more pistons every day! I've wrecked more expensive stuff in my life :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:32 pm 

Im really not much of a mechanic , like Ive said before I can follow directions reasonably well and Im not a complete fumble fingers But WOW, i didn't realize how much easier it was going to be putting pistons in with separate cylinders as opposed to an in line four.
Didn't take long at all, and then no cams, no cam timing, no checking valve clearances, I suppose the hard part will be in the timing and tuning.
I put the heads on just to keep it sealed up.
My question is how many of you weld the H2 heads to keep them from cracking?
It seems from what I've read I should have it done, just looking for opinions if anyone has one :D

The lift helps too, best thing I bought in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Actually it is kinda rare, usually with very hard use.

The bike is looking great! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:42 pm 

Just thinking aloud, I wonder if it's a function of over-tightening heads....? :think: (Not that I've had a H2 engine anywhere near 9,000 revs.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 am 

I have read here that torquing to 24 ft lbs helps.
I will do that, then I can button it up and do a pressure/vacuum test. And if the heads crack I'll send them to you Moo and do something expensive :thumbup:
Im getting excited to try to work out all the gremlins once its road worthy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 pm 

looks like your on the home stretch :thumbup:

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm 

Im sure there are going to be a few more hurdles to overcome. This is the biggest bike project Ive ever done and it has really stretched my ability. Its a whole new learning experience :thumbup:
Ive only done two engine rebuilds before this and some simple reworking of existing systems.
Here are a few more pics of the lights working. Used a LED for the headlight low beam and a 35 watt H4 scooter bulb for the high beam. I just cut the back of the stock headlight and epoxied a H4 holder cut from another head light in place. and drilled a small hole for the LED and used an old instrument socket from spare parts. I don't plan on driving at night much so the H4 bulb is really just in case, the led is a tiny on, it glows the head lamp but casts no light. The brake light is LED also. The blinkers were .86 cents apiece :o I don't think they will last long but at that price I had to see what you get, they look good standing still and maybe they will last a season. They are 8 watts, and I found a blinker relay in all the boxes I had from my cousin and it works fine. I am also wiring the shift light from the Zeel to the red brake light in the tach. The tach I also found cheap have to wait to see if works, it spins with my drill :thumbup:
Im wiring the kill switch as the main power and will do something to disable the ignition when I park it somewhere.
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:51 pm 

Easy to see that you are on the right track, and it will come together nicely - neat and methodical approach! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 pm 

Do you have a rubber mounted engine?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:31 pm 

No, I thought about it a lot, I didn't think I had the skills to pull it off with the cases I have, and I didn't have the $$ for new cases.
I did shim it, I think I did a good job, took some time, I ordered a bunch of specific size shims from McMaster car and got the fit to what the resource site suggests.
WHY?? Ive heard the horror stories about vibration and cracked frames.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next