Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Drill and tap the shoulder of the sprocket extension cup, screw in a long set screw against a flat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
It looks like the nut doesn't grab many threads.

It grabs them all, that nut is one I found laying about that happened to have the right threads it is pretty fat, hitting one of the flats with a set screw would be easy, both good suggestions.
I imagine having a sprocket come loose and fall off can both be physically and finically devastating.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 am 

Over the last few months I have gathered most of the parts I needed.
Worked with the wiring, clutch release, chain and sprockets, foot pegs, tach, brakes and lines. Got the carbs and ignition, and other bits and pieces.
Wish I knew a fabricator/machinist I really suck at fabricating and mating parts together :roll: At some point maybe Ill go back and tweak the things I am having trouble with :think: .
Got the cylinders and heads back (thanks John, should have had you grind in the reeds, thats going to to take some time).
The heads had been worked on previously to sending them to JA and when he measured them they were a bit whacky (he fixed them :thumbup: ) so I had the pistons and bores measured, there all .002 clearance. I was glad, not knowing how it was done I was concerned they would be funky also. I took them to a local shop to be mesured that does a lot of machine work for many of the engine shops around and works with both sleds ad bikes. I asked if it was to tight he told me "no" he would have bored them that tight too.
I noticed here that many with Wiseco's look for .0025 to .003 and the spec say .003. But I will trust its good he told me .003 is way too loose and with moly coated they recommend .002 with Wiseco's.
Now once I get some time I can start finishing up the loose ends and assemble this project and start the tuning process.
Maybe by this time next year it will be on the road!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Just get a few extra miles before you do long high rpm runs to get rid of any high spots on the pistons. And just follow the video's, for the install. And you aren't the first to say they should have let me do it! :lol: But once you get the first one done, it really isn't that hard...... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:12 am 

It been Three years since I inherited this bike, seems longer to me most likely because I saw this thing sit in my cousins living room for 14 years and in his barn 4 years pervious to that!
It been a hell of a finish to the year for me finically, my wife and father-inlaw's company went the way of the west. My wife owned 10% he owned the rest, my father- law passes away and left what was left of the company to my wife, which was not good. Many reasons why, but the end result is we were left on the hook, 10% owner still gets 100% responsibility, good or bad.
Many lawyers involved and ALOT OF $$$, not in our favor, and they are saying it could be a year or more to settle it all. The moral of the story is if you have a company pay the F'n bills!!
Especially to the Fed's! :banghead ARGH!!!
So the next few years may be a bit lean for this boy……..
So that being said we had saw this coming since last spring but the train had left the station so to say and it was unstoppable to some extent, thats why I madly purchased most of the parts I needed last spring and summer.
With all thats going on there was little time to work on the bike, but having a few days off of work I had some time to start working on the project again. Started fitting the reeds, and like I said above should have had JaMoo do it! It isn't to hard but I have found out I don't see as well as I once did, lots of light and I ordered a set of magnifying goggles that should be here today. I have stopped grinding until I receive them.
Also having limited space I didn't want to grind near a some what open engine and parts. So I found some large plastic bags and wrapped the whole bike up. I plan to do all the grinding, clean up and then proceed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

That's a hard hit that you didn't need! :e4 But it sounds like you are slowly climbing out of the mess.

And I have used magnifiers for many years now, as I said, after you get the first one ground in, it's not as hard for the other two. Just think, I have done a couple of hundred sets........ :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 am 

Bike still looks great from here. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 pm 

Dewman418 wrote:
Bike still looks great from here. :thumbup:

Thanks! Or did you mean better now that its wrapped in plastic…. :lol:

Got the reeds in! by the third cylinder I wished I could start over!
Drilling the pistons today or this weekend some time.
I was going to practice drilling a hole or two in some old used Wiseco pistons from a 1229cc kit for a GS Suzuki I had but when I took them out I inspected them and they look pretty decent so I may sell those on e-bay in hopes of a couple bucks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:08 pm 

Tried to drill one of the pistons :thumbdown:
I don't think my cheap drill press has a straight chuck WAY to much bit wobble AND I don't know what I'm doing :banghead
So any advice would be appreciated…. I may have to take them over to the machine shop, that may be the safest easiest way. I thought this was going to be easier than the grinding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

I hand drilled the holes for many years, just drill a pilot hole and go very slow with the 1/2".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next