Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:16 am 

oxford wrote:
I have never used it but all balls racing has a bearing conversion on there site for different forks to different bikes.

I looked at there web site, the bearing conversion for '72 H2 to a '86 gsxr front end $42.25... :shock: Thats cheap!
I dont think they were around in 1997 when the bike I have was done, but it sure seem the way to go now if you aren't changing geometry. The list of conversions was huge!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am 

I have just looked at there H2 bearing chart for fork conversions. If you go with a 2001-2009 GSX-R1000, it
uses the same bearings as the standard H2 front. I have a complete front end in the garage that came with all
the parts I bought :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 pm 

Can anyone tell me if they think this swing arm may be from a rz350??
I have been searching swing arm pics and think it may be..... Sorry I noticed the pic sucks, I tried to blow it up, it didn't work well. There may be better pics in earlier posts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:28 pm 

yes, swingarm and shock are stock rz350.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm 

Thanks m in sc, I was just going to post that there were no takers on the question :lol: and I saw yours.
The shock is way soft for my fat A$$, I go 280 so my thought was to maybe move to the r6 shock conversion, you can pick them up cheap off e-bay and see if it would fit and if it would make a difference. Being a big guy is hard on MC suspensions. I am hoping a more modern shock might help, although in the future I may go with a custom shock. I did a custom on my suzuki gs and it made a big difference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm 

r6 or maybe an R1? 280? yeah, you are a big dude, you have 100 lbs on me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:29 pm 

m in sc wrote:
r6 or maybe an R1? 280? yeah, you are a big dude, you have 100 lbs on me.

Ya i like to pretend its 25 years ago and Im still at my "fighting" weight, then I do something stupid like check the sag on this shock :roll:
Even then I was above 200. I dont think this bike is going to be a daily rider!
So are you suggesting the r1 shock may be a better choice?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:39 pm 

Bought a R6 shock off ebay $24, followed the advice from another site on converting RZ shock to R6. Installed it today not to hard to do, raised the rear end just a tad over 1" and the swing arm angle is now 12 deg with just the weight of the bike. This should put everything very close to the numbers on MRAXL resource page for frame geometry. Even on the softest setting it much much better and it has some adjustability, not that I know $hit about suspension set up. I will just set it to yamaha R6 factory specs, and try to get it to sag less than the 4 inches the old shock sagged with me on it :o. I may need to watch the cheeseburgers!!
ImageImageImageImage
Tight fit at the A arms on the swing arm, had to grind just a bit to get the rebound damper to fit.

Looks steeper than 12 deg here but I have a bungee holding it up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 pm 

Ive been making some progress, brakes, brake lines, sorting out the electrical, new rectifier, new clutch pusher (simply amazed at the difference it made in effort), drill and epoxied a h4 bulb holder in the burned out old sealed beam not sure how it will reflect thru the old lens looks ok in the garage, I don't plan on much night driving, parts and pieces for now.

I have a questions, the front sprocket is offset by 5/8" , although this will help with chain clearance at the clutch pusher I don't know if Ill be able to fold over the lock washer seeing the bolt sits inside. My GS Suzuki is the same way and I have been running it for years with out the folding lock washer, just a couple daps of red lock tight and I have had it off and on several times without any issues or loosening up. With the warnings on the H2 I'm not sure if this is a good idea, any thoughts will be appreciated.
ImageImage[url=http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/uhsmuk/media/4B83391E-A75E-4D5E-9966-6356F2154606_zpsjfr3kaz4.jpg.h™l]

Id also like to say as I work on this project I become more and more amazed at the real bike builders and restorer's on this site, simply remarkable stuff. I have neither the patience or talent to achieve the results I see here. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm 

It looks like the nut doesn't grab many threads. If it was me I would use a skinning grade 10 nut and a regular lock
washer and red locktite. On all the bikes I do I tack the factory folding lock washer but with your offset sprocket
that doesn't look like a option. I had a sprocket come loose just once, you don't ever want that to happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next