Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:44 pm 

I have seen a couple of different ways done for modern forks. You can press out the stem on the triples and press the stock one in, you can sometimes source a set of bearings that will fit the stock neck and work with the stem from the donor forks, I have also seen pieces machined that press into the stock stem(and get welded) where the bearings go that have a place for the new bearings.

Any 3 of these is a lot easier than swapping a stock neck out for a different one to get right. If you are also wanting to change the rake at the same time then you might as well do it the way it was done on your bike.

I have also seen it done where the stock neck was left in but the front half was cut out of it then a new neck was placed into remaining section of old piece and welded in. I am pretty sure board member Magee did his bike this way. It is easier to keep things aligned this way rather than totally cutting it out. A nicely made shim for would also let you change the rake pretty easily with this method.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:02 pm 

Since the vin number is engraved on the stem, changing it would be a problem in many states. I'm getting
ready to start on my hybrid project and not sure of what front end to use or rear swing arm. I do have a
complete mid 90's GSXR suspension, but may look into using a RGV250 suspension. Yogi used the front on
his bike and was a easy swap with just a bearing change.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
Since the vin number is engraved on the stem, changing it would be a problem in many states. I'm getting
ready to start on my hybrid project and not sure of what front end to use or rear swing arm. I do have a
complete mid 90's GSXR suspension, but may look into using a RGV250 suspension. Yogi used the front on

Huge problem! I was told by WI. DMV it cannot be registered, but I talked with a state trooper the other day and was told that once it is street legal they would do an inspection declare it a custom vehicle and give it a VIN and a tile. I still dont know who to believe :? .
But I will proceed with confidence. My advice if you do something like this re-stamp the VIN on the stem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 am 

demus wrote:
67lotus49 wrote:

Huge problem! I was told by WI. DMV it cannot be registered, but I talked with a state trooper the other day and was told that once it is street legal they would do an inspection declare it a custom vehicle and give it a VIN and a tile. I still dont know who to believe :? .
But I will proceed with confidence. My advice if you do something like this re-stamp the VIN on the stem.

have you tried to apply for a lost title in his name for the bike? even if its on paper the state should still have it.. may be cheaper and easier than the custom vehicle route.. and ive heard some insurance companys don't like to insure custom builds

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 am 

He never had a title. The bike came from his neighbor who was an old junk collector. He got it for 50$. It was missing the exhaust, cylinders, pistons, the upper case was smashed and most of the electronics were gone. You used to be able to get a salvage title and register it once it was road worthy again, so that was his plan I assume. Wisconsin doesn't allow that anymore.
I'm not to worried about insurance every other bike here is a custom harley of some sort. Dairland insurance should insure it, but now I'm going to check for sure never thought about the insurance end of it!
One of the biggest problems of living in Wisconsin near Milwaukee is trying to find anyone interested in any bike if it ain't a harley :banghead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:36 am 

The Trooper is correct.......nearly anything can be titled; it just takes the right procedure, paper work, and correct number of dollars of course.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:53 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
Yogi used the front on

I have never used it but all balls racing has a bearing conversion on there site for different forks to different bikes. I am pretty sure board member squirrely on here did pretty new zx6r forks to his h1 with only a bearing swap as well.

demus, I think it was mentioned but just get a titled h1 frame, re-stamp the number into your neck and get a new sticker made for it. It will be a lot less hassle than going through the paperwork to get that bike titled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:45 am 

My latest attempt at measuring this frame, I'm not to sure I have the accuracy needed to do this properly but this what I came up with. I may jack the back end up an inch or so to reduce the rake and trail a bit, any thoughts would be appreciated.
I did string the wheels and the front wheel is less than 2mm off center from the rear. The good news is I found the engine sprocket and it had been modded to be in line with the rear sprocket, one less item I need to get :D
Sprocket combo is 14 45 is that an acceptable number??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin

About 10 years back an H2 was examined by a reputable frame engineering group. I don't remember the details. Here were their recommendations: http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/hanh2mod.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:44 pm 

this what i did, then i welded in another barrel that contained the larger bearings for the kawasaki 636 front end. it probably extended the wheel base buy an inch but gave more weight on the front end, Not that i would notice LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next