Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 pm 

Thought Id post some photos of this project. It was started in 1997 by my cousin who ended up shelving it because of divorce. It sat in his living room and in boxes for over 10 yrs, when he passed away I inherited it about 2yrs ago. Not really knowing to much about 2 strokes I started going thru the boxes and piecing together what was there. Hoping to get it on the road sometime next year. The paint scheme and looks where all my cousins and for his sake Im keeping that way, his dad, my uncle, calls me every few weeks to ask how the project is going and wants to see it run too!
This is how I got it, pretty complete roller.
ImageImage
I had to get rid of the gold case paint, I don't know what was used on it, but it bubble off with just about any chemical so it had to go. I dont have any pics of the tranny, it was done by MRE and I checked all the shimming it was perfect.
I assembled the motor. Without this site and the resource page it would have been extraordinarily difficult, THANKS to all who spend their time with this. Image
ImageI got the motor in the frame. It still needs to be shimmed, and there are no pistons in it. I have the cylinder off again to be shipped out. Getting reeds, and having the cc's checked and squish bands cut in.

The exhaust hit the swing arm , my solution, right or wrong, was to shorten the silencer.

I don't know how much of the electrical stuff works, and I have to figure out sprockets and chain, carbs, and Im sure a host of other things I haven't thought of. But it is moving forward and Im having fun :D

Post subject: Re: Inherited H2 project
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm 

sweet looking project 8-) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm 

I love it. It has a stock enough look but excellent mods.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 pm 

I like the short rear shock. Could you tell ,me what bike it is off
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 pm 

Thanks, I wish my cousin was here to see your responses, I cannot take any credit for its looks, although I did find the front end for him :D. He worked at Buell, hence the Harley orange and Buell fly screen and front turn signals. He also worked with someone there on the rake and trail numbers, but I have no idea what they were shooting for or if they accomplished there goal. The front end is from a 86 gsxr and the steering stem was custom made and welded on at a slightly different angle if I am remembering right.

magee wrote:
I like the short rear shock. Could you tell ,me what bike it is off
Thanks

If my memory serves me right :problem: I remember it being off a yamaha but I cannot remember what model, it was done nearly 15 yrs ago. Also the shock is way to soft for me and I dont know if the preload will take enough out, it will have to do for now. Jerry was well over 100lbs lighter than me and he was building it for himself.

:? I wish I could remember more about the chassis, I should have paid more attention, I didnt expect him to die!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:01 pm 

Last time I'll see these for a while, they are being shipped off this afternoon. They still have the original writing on them from Purple Haze.
Gives me something to look forward to for the middle of winter :D

We will see how are US Postal Service does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Nice packing job! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm 

I just want them to arrive safely! I learned a lesson long ago shipping cylinders, from perfect no flaws to " well at least they work".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 pm 

Here are some pics of the steering stem, I don't know if its stock or not, I was told it isn't and that is was machined and then welded on at a slightly different angle. The last photo is the top shock mount which always seemed to me to be not strong enough, but I'm not knowledgeable in any of this stuff.
Any comments are welcome, this whole project is a big learning experience and I like it!
One more thing I noticed with these pics THIS THING IS FILTHY :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 pm 

Well I tracked down one of the guys that helped do the frame mods, he said the head was removed and a new one installed to accept the GSXR triple tree and Suzuki bearings. He said he has done this to 10 or 12 bikes over the years and that is how he gets different front ends on frames. I guess my question is how do others do it, re-machine the triple trees or do they just find ones that fit?
He couldn't remember the what model the rear end was off, he may stop by and take a look at it, he is interested to see it finally finished.
I tried to do some measuring of the frame, rake, trail, wheelbase, very hard to do actually. My first attempt was in inches to the 16th, I used one of our lasers and levels and strings. I laid it out on my Archicad program at work and I came up with 24deg of rake and 4 inches of trail, the swing arm is 21.5" with a 56" wheel base. There appears to be no offset from the steering head to the forks they are completely parallel to each other. My next attempt, maybe tonight, is going to be in mm, I need to be more accurate, the smallest change in dimension changes the numbers allot! I need to get the bike totally stable and perfectly level, I thought I was before but now seeing how accurate I need to be that has to be the starting point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next