Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 am 

I am the proud owner of a very clean '75 H1. before I ruin this cream puff trying to stick on parts that suck I was hoping for some very much appreciated insight...

I am trying to approach the build of this bike as reasonably as possible considering the most time spent riding will be on the street( hard street riding). Then time at the drag strip and the road course is maybe 1-2 times a year

The bike is stock with a set of chambers on it and 11k miles on the clock

I like what Klemm has on his website about the chamber modifications to run 91 octane. Have any of you run this? Is it necessary? The bike will detonate pretty badly when pushed

Ignition system recommendations?
I sent an email to DIYAuto tune for information on a controller for the ignition timing curve. Is there an off the shelf part that is better than the stock system?

..about Pro Cycles Stage 2 reed conversion...I have the top end with all the goodies and a shiny new set of Mikuni TM34 flatslides....Any one run this?

I have calculated that the maximum rpm for this engine is 11,000 (4200 FPM mean piston speed)
if the pistons and rotating assembly can take it. When I ride the bike, it pulls nice and hard clear into the red. How high is it safe to rev with the stock parts?

Lastly Suspension, I am very happy with the performance of the Ikon shoks (once Koni) and am looking forward to installing a set.
For the Front I am taking them apart at the moment. I see there is room to lower the stanchion in the "lower" improving the rigidity of the fork. Has anyone done this?
Another question is What fork oil should I run and is there a preferred kit for the valve or spring?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!! I really Really appreciate it!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 am 

Welcome to the Board! :)

You will find many of your questions answered if you take a few hrs and have a stroll around here ;) :

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/

With particular attention to here:

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/howto.htm

Be aware your late H1 is the second heaviest of the 500 series. As such some serious liposuction will be needed to best its performance and handling..

J

Last edited by Looney Cylinders on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:09 am 
Site Admin

denisj wrote:

I have calculated that the maximum rpm for this engine is 11,000 (4200 FPM mean piston speed)
if the pistons and rotating assembly can take it. When I ride the bike, it pulls nice and hard clear into the red. How high is it safe to rev with the stock parts?

11,000 is pretty high for these motors, you would definitely need a crank rebuild with high quality bearings and heavy duty rods. I wouldn't rev a lot over 10,500 anyway with a good crank. You will probably need a crank rebuild anyway. And porting.

Lastly Suspension, I am very happy with the performance of the Ikon shoks (once Koni) and am looking forward to installing a set.

Getting new shocks, for street or road race use, at least 1" longer in the rear and bronze bushings in the swinger.

For the Front I am taking them apart at the moment. I see there is room to lower the stanchion in the "lower" improving the rigidity of the fork. Has anyone done this?

Not necessary to drop the front, good springs for your weight, and gold valves if you want to spend the bucks, and tapered steering head bearing are a must. Lace up a 18" front rim, and convert to a EX 500 caliper, steel line and 1/2 master to double your braking power.

Another question is What fork oil should I run and is there a preferred kit for the valve or spring?

Talk to Pierre at Works shocks for springs. Fork oil weight will depend if you get the gold valves or not.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!! I really Really appreciate it!!