Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 Carburetors on a H1?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm 

Hi. Has anyone seen a benifit in power by putting H2 carbs onto an H1F? I can get the adapter plates from Europe on Ebay with no problem. I just don't know how the bike will react. Presently it has Wassner pistons and is jetted for Jemco chambers. I was told to wake it up I needed to fit H2 carbs. I would appreciate feedback on this mod. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 am 

There may be a slight gain in power doing this mod. The biggest advantage of fitting the H2 carb is due to its usually leak free rubber spigot mount (as opposed to the troublesome H1 setup) and side located idle screw setup (compared to the H1 idle rods, which often get bent etc).

However the adapter blocks you refer are wedge shaped and as such will likely only allow the "small body" VM series of carbs to be used, due to clearance issues with the case. This will limit any carb fitting options in the future.

If you already have the h2 carbs the mod may be justified. If you have to purchase carbs, a straight adapter and modern carbs would be preferable IMHO.

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 am 

Thank you for that info. I will look for VM carbs in the near future. All I have so far are 3 new H2 rubber manifolds. I guess the H1 metal manifolds angle up slightly to let the carb body clear the case where the H2 manifolds provide a straight angle to the cylinder and would be positioned back about 1/2" more because of the adapter plates bolted to the cylinder. I'll research this mod some more to see if I really want to do it.
Thanks again.
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 am 

To clarify,

The German metal adapter plates are wedge shaped and actually lower the carb when using the H2 manifolds. This ends up with the H2 carb being mounted in essentially the same place /angle the stock H1 carb is.

The trouble is most aftermarket Mikuni carbs have bigger float bowls and will no longer fit the case if angled down, as the aforementioned adapter plates do.

This adapter is not wedge shaped (keeps float bowl high) and allows selection of most carbs:

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/carb/mounts/h1mount34.htm

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm 

I had planned using OEM H2 carburetors with either one of these adapter sets listed below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-H1-H2- ... 3f2a13da02

What your saying is that these plates will mount the H2 OEM carbs at the same angle as my H1's, only place the carbs back a little, which should fit without hitting the case. Correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171020953033?ss ... 1436.l2649

Do you see any problem with using either one?
Also will I have to use an H2 throttle cable or would my H1 cable work?

Thank you.
Jerry

Last edited by Pickupmaker on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

My above warnings apply to only these wedge shaped adapters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171020953033?ss ... 1436.l2649

The installation of the used Denco style adapters will lift the carbs somewhat from the stock positon. This will allow a better future selection of carbs, without concern of the typically larger than stock H1/H2 float bowls hitting the case.

Stock H1 throttle cable works on carbs up to and including large body VM34s...

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

H1 cables are a smaller diameter than H2 cables, you will need a H2 cable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm 

Which part of the cable is smaller and causes the issue? Is there something unique with the stock H2 carb that results in a fitment conflict ?

I believe Cody is running the stock H2 carbs on his new 500/400 hybrid (with the German made adapter plates). He has not mentioned a cable issue to date.

I've been using the stock OEM H1 kaw cable on Denco supplied VM 34s on and off since about 1975.
About 6 years back I bought another OEM H1 cable from Kaw, and it too fits VM34s without issue.

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the H2 cable is larger. I guess you can adapt a H1 cable......... :problem:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 pm 

Interesting.

The H1 cable sheath will likely fit (although a bit loose) the cable adjuster on the H2 carb. The desired setup would be to use H1 adjusters in the tops of the H2 carbs (if the threads are compatible)...

J