Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Interesting.

The H1 cable sheath will likely fit (although a bit loose) the cable adjuster on the H2 carb. The desired setup would be to use H1 adjusters in the tops of the H2 carbs (if the threads are compatible)...

J

The threads are compatible. I've done it before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 pm 

Ok guys I appreciate your help and input. You gave me a lot to think about. I have one more question regarding this swap. Has anyone fitted H2 carbs onto an H1 with chambers? What I want to know is if it's worth the effort? What I really mean is will I see a noticable speed increase by doing this? I have a 75 H1F with 73 cylinders, Damon crank, first over Wossner pistons, mirror polished head domes as well as dremmel smooth exhaust ports along with Jemco chambers. To be honest the bike doesn't impress me. I'd like to be shoved back on the seat when accelerating like my 72H1B did for me. I had heard that the 500's were under carb'd. Can anyone tell me that the bike will get up and go after these H2 carbs are installed?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm 

Don't forget both your bike and possibly you weighs more than when you remember how the H1B performed. ;)

There is allot of optimizing to do to the bike if it presently won't go as fast as a stock H1B. The power increase upon installing the 30mm H2 carbs instead of the stock 28s will be minimal in any event.

I suggest you investigate your ignition timing (3.45mm BTDC is a known sweet spot for the 500, regardless of Kaw's later model spec), cranking pressure, air filter setup, jetting etc. before proceeding with bigger carbs. Setup properly your present bike setup should easily exceed a stock H1B.

If you have to purchase carbs a good and proven bigger carb for your 500 is a Mikuni VM34-168. This variant, other than its needle jet, is very close in the req'd H1 jetting. Niche Cycle supply offers these new for $99 each. A huge selection of needles/needle jets etc is another feature of using new carbs.

Even better power (with extensive porting) can be obtained with modern large flat slide carbs, but of course considerably more $$$ will have to be spent.

EDIT: Have a look at this for some easy stuff to wake it up:

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/about3703.html

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:07 pm 

Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear. I forgot to mention I have the stock air cleaner assy with the snorkle removed and a K&N airfilter and 750 size sprokets. I think I'll recheck my timing to the number you said. I know I'm jetted good because I have no dead spots throughout the RPM's and my plugs are alway tan. Never fouled one in 4 years having this bike. Your correct in my gaining weight since 1975 when I wrecked my H1B. I was 20 and 150lbs. Today I'm near 200. I guess I'm spoiled by my 1983 Suzuki GS1100E. I know it's apples to oranges. I guess I should've searched for an H2 instead.
Thank you again. Next step is break out the dial indicator.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 pm 

Be prepared to re-jet after any adjustments /timing changes (further advancement of iggy timing from present settings almost always requires richer jetting) . Confirm at 4000 rpms the timing is still at 3.45mm with a suitable timing light....

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

Will do. Thank you ever so much.

Regards,
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Stock ported 500's are pretty much a snore, even with pipes. And riding a big block 1100 will make it feel even weaker. Than again stock port 750's are pretty much a snore also.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:12 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Stock ported 500's are pretty much a snore, even with pipes. And riding a big block 1100 will make it feel even weaker. Than again stock port 750's are pretty much a snore also.

John has narcolepsy, ALL triples are FUN! :thumbup: :e11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 am 

^ Yeah, I have a ZX10R, which is a fast bike, but I never got to Snore on a H2 - or any triple, for that matter.........! :P