Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 pm 

Based on the RB party thread it sounds like this bike revs faster than most modified H2's and is also very, very fast (all things considered).
Is this inherently due to the case reed design, or could this type of power be the product of Chris Richie engine work and a really good tuner like Henry?

I suppose it could also be voodoo but wanted to keep this a family post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:31 pm 

I does have a lot more transfer area than most H2s. Maybe Henry will post some photos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:08 am 

I think both, when we played with it a few years ago it was a blast to ride with a near-stock top end, immediate throttle response and just plain fun to ride.

Then Chris built what I consider to be one of the neatest top ends you will ever see, the ports are not huge but they make a lot of hp and torque. The intakes were blocked off and proper transfers run up the back of the cylinder, it is a work of art. Henry is talking about putting it on the dyno, my guess is 120-130, rear wheel hp, on pump gas. And due to the small size of the exhaust port and no intake port, it will probably be as reliable as a stock engine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm 

Jim C wrote:
and a really good tuner like Henry?

Henry certainly isn't a tuner . . . . . Just an GREAT engineer from a Country that produced so many of them back in the day . . . . . and a Top Bloke too! :thumbup:
(Now sell me that darn bike Enery!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 pm 

Bill B wrote:
I think both, when we played with it a few years ago it was a blast to ride with a near-stock top end, immediate throttle response and just plain fun to ride.

Then Chris built what I consider to be one of the neatest top ends you will ever see, the ports are not huge but they make a lot of hp and torque. The intakes were blocked off and proper transfers run up the back of the cylinder, it is a work of art. Henry is talking about putting it on the dyno, my guess is 120-130, rear wheel hp, on pump gas. And due to the small size of the exhaust port and no intake port, it will probably be as reliable as a stock engine.

i think Bill nailed it on the head about Chris,s work. I wish i could say i am a two stroke guru and its all my own work but i cant. I have have made the phone company rich with all the calls to Chris,Bill and Gary C. The bike has Chris cylinders and his heads. I had to do some profile work to the bottom transfer ports and cut the squish to get the comp correct but that,s all.
The only difficult part for me was getting the cases to line up after all the welding. The top case moved over 025 tho at the right hand side where they came together and clamped on the bearing. when i tightened the case bolts the bloody crank locked up. I had to make a dummy crank and had the cases heat treated with the dummy crank installed to take the stress out and get the top case to finaly come back in line. I have posted pictures of the cylinders a while back.Over the winter i am planning to get the bike to Bill so he can get it dynoed and make sure the carburation is correct.
But the biggest surprise to me was the fact that the bike runs so well considering the connecting rods are in the way of the inlet port and which every good two stroke tuner knows causes the inlet charge to get messed up, go figure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am 

You're too humble Henry.
While there is no doubt that Chris was a fantastic machinist, engineer, & designer, and, Bill and Gary are amazingly talented, it was you that had the vision of the case reed, designed it, and actually built the damn thing.
It sounded like a fantastic bike before the modified cylinders and heads; sounds like a beast now. :clap:

When can we start shipping cases to you for the conversion?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 pm 

join the que Jim
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

You guys have just been riding piston ports too much........ :lol: :e11 :lol:

And can't wait to see the dyno graph! :thumbup: If anyone can get rid of the deto problem, Bill can! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You guys have just been riding piston ports too much........ :lol: :e11 :lol:

And can't wait to see the dyno graph! :thumbup: If anyone can get rid of the deto problem, Bill can! :clap:

So are all read engines with reeds are the same regardless as to where they are located ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a proven fact for many decades, that the reed valve motor offers good to great advantages over piston port motors. And most, of the last big 2 strokes were case reed. (Barring the Banshee) I haven't read why the factories went with case reed, there could be many reasons, for a possible better port design, to ease of maintenance. Heck, the Yammi street 500 had both case and cylinder reed systems..... :wtf:

As far as "conversions", it would be difficult to compare the two, without a bunch of dyno time.