Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:01 pm 

I didn't get much accomplished after work today. I made the top bracket for the shock and cut some of the other brackets (like for the brake master cylinder).

tomarrow and sunday are fully dedicated to the bike. I will be posting my progress pictures....

It is gonna suck using a dremel to cut the old lower link bracket from the pipe it is welded on to weld it on a longer pipe(after all lined up), and then to the frame. It is to small and detailed to use the good old sawsall.
The suzuki frame is an inch or 2 wider at the top of the frame.
i'm hoping to get all the welding done, rear end switched over completely, and new rings and gaskets on the top end. I decided painting the frame yellow would make my frame mods stick out to much, even though i like the contrast of a colored frame and black everything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:29 pm 

I put some hours in today.

Drilled out the swing arm bolt holes (frame side)
Made the lower link bracket (took over an hour it's self)
figured out how i'm gonna mount the brake master cylinder (has to push instead of pull a cable)
Had the rear end bolted on, the chain lined up great.
sanded paint off where welding will be done.
Took the engine off

ready to load into truck and take to my buddies house for welding first thing tomorrow.

Here is a picture with the rear end on, before i tore it all back apart. Ya looks like a mess, but if i can visualize it it will happen :think:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 pm 

I got the welding all finished. But didn't have time to do much else but drink beer :e12

Probly be the weekend before i get back on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 pm 

I had time after work to put the new rings and gaskets in today. It went well. The cylinders definitely are getting bored this winter. They aren't scratched too bad, but just worn. The new ring gap is .016" the old ring gap was over .022" (biggest one i had). I cross hatched the cylinders by hand with some 800 grit, but didn't do a real hone because i didn't want to make them any bigger.

So now i have to paint the frame (black), put it back together, and buy a chain and sprocket. The new rear end is 3 inches longer than the stock one, so i can't even throw on the old chain to give it a ride.

I'll post some more pictures when it's together (this weekend or before)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm 

It's coming along. I wish I could lower the shock one more inch, but it isn't bad where it's at.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 am 

well i threw the engine back on tonight. i will probly get another picture after the pipes and tank are on.
Damn kick stand giving me problems. Will have to move it again (off of a ninja 250).

I hope you guys won't hate on my totally custom design. If you learn anything from this post, it would be that you are only limited to your imagination.

I have ordered a 16 tooth sprocket and a longer chain. I need to order a universal tail light yet.

This should be the best H1/GT under $1500 ever.......

Not enough H1 rides on youtube... I will change that if i have to strap my phone to my chest :crazy: :crazy: ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 pm 

This weekend i will have it finished up with pictures and video. I had car exhaust problems last weekend which slowed me down.

Engine and pipes are on. I figured out where to put the battery and oil tank and made brackets. The battery goes infront of the shock and oil tank behind the shock. I have the back brake assembly all mounted and just waiting on a banjo fitting to come in the mail. My sprocket and chain made it in already. With the engine on, the shock height turned out to be perfect.

check back this weekend for the pictures and video :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm 

Keep us posted! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 pm 

Well i made some progress tonight. I got the engine fired up and broke in the new rings. Sounds great and no weird noises like before. But i had several top end gasket leaks before.

I got my shifter figured out and started (on the list for tomorrow). I got my oil tank, battery and ignition boxes all mounted. They turned out great :clap: .

I found my rear brake line is way too long and my main oil line is to short. Hopefully my tail light makes it in the mail tomorrow.

I'll get some good pictures tomorrow in the day light. And some video. Not going to be much riding till i get a shorter brake line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 pm 

I got my shifter all on and working. And chain and sprocket on.
but i ended up with clutch problems which i will start a thread for in the fix it section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next