Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 74 h1 "The Project"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 pm 

Maybe you should punch some holes in the swing arm pivot mount gussets (where the front foot peg mounts used to be) for some weight savings and bling? I believe the H1R had some holes here...

http://triplescanada.proboards.com/thre ... ect?page=1

J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 pm 

That may be an idea. Had the holes been in the same place on both sides I would have left them without putting the plugs in. I know drilling those solid plugs out already took a bunch of weight out of there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 pm 

Its time to move onto a swingarm. I had originally planned to run an arm off of a FZR400. I did end up finding and getting one for a decent price. After getting it and thinking about it for a while I decided that I didn't really want to add the extra wheelbase to the bike that running this arm would do. I then picked this arm up off of ebay without knowing if it was even close to fitting. It is from a mid 90's Yamaha Seca2. Luckily it has the same piviot diameter and width as the fzr does. That means it will fit the H frame. Unfortunately it is just as long as the fzr arm is. Here is what I started with

I decided that I would be able to cut a little off of the arm to shorten it up some. Only problem was when I cut it in the saw it didn't cut as straight as I would have liked it to.

Well you know what they say, measure twice and cut once. Guess that means I have to figure something out since I can put it back in the saw, so I came up with this.

Continued in the next post.

Last edited by oxford on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 pm 

Here is the eccentric holders welded into the arm and the stock shock mount cut out of it.

I boxed the front of the arm in with a little influence from an early h1 swingarm

Fixed up the corners a little.

Mounts for the dual rear shocks welded on.

And here it is sitting in its final resting place.

Overall it came out pretty good. All it needs is a lug welded on for the brake stay and the eccentrics finalized and machined. I have way more time invested into it than I would like to admit. Special thanks to board member Jim for welding the eccentric holders into the arm quite some time ago before I had a welder at the house.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 am 

yeah baby!! SKILLZ!!!!!!!!!!!

and your shop is far too clean Oxford. Seriously, poor some oil on the floor or something would you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am 

scrambler73 wrote:
and your shop is far too clean Oxford. Seriously, poor some oil on the floor or something would you?

It is a true exercise of my character to keep it looking clean. I really am no neat freak, I am not even sure why I own a tool box most of the time half of it is scattered all over the place. :lol: . I do try and clean up before I snap pics though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 am 

Very cool!!! Nice work!

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 pm 

You have tackled the weakest link in the H1-D/E/F/KH500 chassis assy, the swingarm. Calling the original flimsy is an understatement, it is totally inadequate; even the H2/H2-A swingarm is significantly stiffer. This modification alone will make the bike significantly better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

Wow it looks perfect! Very nice work,
Regards
Ralf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:08 pm 

oxford wrote:
It is a true exercise of my character to keep it looking clean. I really am no neat freak, I am not even sure why I own a tool box most of the time half of it is scattered all over the place. :lol: . I do try and clean up before I snap pics though.

My garage looks like that too, I just throw stuff all over the place before I take pics so it looks like I'm working on something :lol: !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next