Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aftermarket Ignitions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:51 pm 

Has anyone successfully coupled the PowerDynamo System with the Programmable Zeeltronics unit? I know it has been done in the RD-350 community, but I'm discovering that there may be some difficulties doing this with a triple. Edgar from Powerdynamo thinks it may not be possible because the stator uses an internal Pickup on the H1 system, as opposed to an external pickup (outside the rotor) on the RD/RZ system. Looking for someone with any actual experience?

Has anyone got any experience with either unit by themselves on H1 or H2?

My ignition unit on my H1 motor is junk so I am starting from scratch either way.

-erik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:02 pm 

A bit of searching around the board here will lead you to two great board members who have fabricated newer ignition boxes for these old gals.
Both great guys to deal with and the reviews on their work and products has been nothing short of excellent.
Look through the For Sale section, I think you will find what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 pm 

Steve, the section is "Vendors, Services, & Product Reviews", but thank you just the same. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 pm 

III wrote:
A bit of searching around the board here will lead you to two great board members who have fabricated newer ignition boxes for these old gals.
Both great guys to deal with and the reviews on their work and products has been nothing short of excellent.
Look through the For Sale section, I think you will find what I am talking about.

Thanks for the tip regarding other suppliers, but that's not what I was asking about. I am specifically looking for insight from anyone who has experience at integrating the Zeeltronics with the Powerdynamo. Which excellent products with great reviews are you referring to?

Regarding my particular question, I've been searching the internet hi and low as well as talking to people directly over the phone about the issue. I am looking for a good programmble ignition solution coupled with a robust magneto/triggering system for an H1. The funny thing is, is if this was an RZ 350, the solution is "in the bag". :)

thanks,
erik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 am 
Site Admin

The Zeeltronics work with a single pick up, so to should be easy to mod the stock stuff and add the Zeeltronics.That's what I am going to do on my 250......... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 am 

team fast wrote:
Has anyone successfully coupled the PowerDynamo System with the Programmable Zeeltronics unit? I know it has been done in the RD-350 community, but I'm discovering that there may be some difficulties doing this with a triple. Edgar from Powerdynamo thinks it may not be possible because the stator uses an internal Pickup on the H1 system, as opposed to an external pickup (outside the rotor) on the RD/RZ system. Looking for someone with any actual experience?

My ignition unit on my H1 motor is junk so I am starting from scratch either way.

-erik

The programmable Zeeltronics unit will work ok with the powerdynamo system. It is simply connected between the pickups and the CDI/coil assemblies. I can supply a diagram if needed.... I fitted one to a GT550 several months ago. The best way to fit this to the H1 kawasaki would be to use the 3 pickup/3 CDI/coil powerdynamo, and do away with the distributor assembly. Like with the Boyer Bransden system, powerdynamo also fire the three cylinders together. Despite first impressions that just one pickup would work, this would fool the Zeeltronics that the engine is doing three times the RPMs and the programming would be in error, although normally this would work fine without the programmable function. To use the Zeetronics, the three pickup coils need to be disconnected from each other and connected seperately to the Zeetronics unit. This also has the benefit of firing the 3 cylinders sepeartely in sequence.
I am unsure why having internal or external triggering would make any difficulty unless rotation speed would make for hard starting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:48 am 

Leo Molenaar and Ralph Shipman are doing a setup with programmable ignition and better generator
everything being really less heavy and more power output, better ignition

they can be contacted at http://www.exbilletengines.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm 

starfire wrote:
team fast wrote:

-erik

The programmable Zeeltronics unit will work ok with the powerdynamo system. It is simply connected between the pickups and the CDI/coil assemblies. I can supply a diagram if needed.... I fitted one to a GT550 several months ago. The best way to fit this to the H1 kawasaki would be to use the 3 pickup/3 CDI/coil powerdynamo, and do away with the distributor assembly. Like with the Boyer Bransden system, powerdynamo also fire the three cylinders together. Despite first impressions that just one pickup would work, this would fool the Zeeltronics that the engine is doing three times the RPMs and the programming would be in error, although normally this would work fine without the programmable function. To use the Zeetronics, the three pickup coils need to be disconnected from each other and connected seperately to the Zeetronics unit. This also has the benefit of firing the 3 cylinders sepeartely in sequence.
I am unsure why having internal or external triggering would make any difficulty unless rotation speed would make for hard starting.

Cant figure how to send the attachment via a PM or email, so here is the diagram. Incidentally, there is no good reason why the Zeeltronics wont work with the standard OEM kawasaki CDI unit on the H2, although I havent tried yet. I know they work with the Starfire units.
DISCLAIMER Using the Zeeltronics in this manner will likely void any warranty . Modifying the Powerdynamo will also likely void its warranty too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

I was told you needed 3 Zeeltronics boxes to work with the 3 pick up system........... (hands up in the air)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I was told you needed 3 Zeeltronics boxes to work with the 3 pick up system........... (hands up in the air)

Why? They have three inputs already.... unless they also make a single unit as well? I am no expert with other peoples stuff, but this worked for me. The Zeeltronics appears to be a small microchip based device that uses programmable delay algorithms to process the three inputs in sequence. By using a single channel unit, with three pulses per revolution, at 10000 rpms, it would need to process 30000 pulses per minute, 500 per second. This I suspect is way beyond a single channel capability. It seems a very complex way to do it too... like THREE boxes???

Edit.... Just looked on their website.... yes, they do make a single controller, rpm limit is 20000 rpm. That would faulter at around 6000rpm on a triple using wasted spark.